Chapter 22

After paying for the ice-creams, I hand Lina her ice-cream cone while trying mine.

Nick has gone home when his mom called him to pick her up from her work as her car has broken down. While I decided to show Lina around a bit as I never really got a chance to give her a town tour. However, she said she is not in a mood to go anywhere as she just wants to hang out somewhere quiet, so I decided to take her to the park near the beach which is relatively less crowded than the beach.

I don't mind that she declined my offer as it doesn't matter I just want to spend some more time with her.

"I thought you might try some fancy ice-cream all with sprinkles and marshmallows, etc?" I point at her plain chocolate cone.

"I love chocolate." She tastes her ice-cream, while it is becoming difficult for me to read her lips without not letting my mind wander into different directions. "It is not too sweet but simply yummy."

After finishing our ice-creams we randomly stroll in the park when a thought comes to my mind that I actually don't know anything about her, her likes and dislikes even I don't know where she is from. I literally know nothing about her, yet it feels like I have known her all my life.

"Tell me about yourself." Without thinking much, I hold her free and in mine as we walk towards the bench.

"There is nothing to tell." She shrugs, while looking away, "I am just Lina." She turns her face to mine so that I can read what she has said.

Her words cause me to frown a little like the way she has said I can feel that she is not happy with herself, and her life. And this stirs a familiar pain inside my heart as before meeting her even I used to live with this feeling.

It seems strange, the girl who somewhere changed my perspective and helped me to accept my new life is herself dealing with the same emotions which I used to harbor in my heart.

"You are not just Lina." I stop walking and force her to look at me, "You. are. Lina."

"Lina who has changed someone's life... someone who used to think about how to get rid of his burdensome life. That someone is now thinking about how to live his life to the fullest and even allowing his heart to dream again." Leaning down, I look into her eyes allowing her to see the seriousness behind my words while not feeling conscious at all admitting my vulnerable moments to anyone.

"Jason..." She speaks as she registers my words while disbelief washes over her expression.

Earlier every day my wish to end my life used to push me to take that drastic step that would free me from the pain that was eating me from inside. That day Lina opened my eyes to make me see how I am treating my life... her words made me realize how wrong I was to even think about such a thing.

Somewhere while focusing on the things which I don't have, I have overlooked what I have in my life. Since that day, I have never let any suicidal thoughts invade my mind, and whenever such thoughts come into my mind I try spending time with my family as they give me strength. Each day I wake up with new positive energy to live my life, not only for myself but also for my family who loves me regardless of my disability.

"It is true, Lina..." I softly smile at her while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear, "Because of you, now I want to live my life again... you taught me what I was losing while being blinded by sorrows when I had so many reasons to live."

Her bottom lip quivers as she looks down while shaking her head.

Stepping closer to her, I hold her face and force her to look at me to find her eyes brimming with tears. Seeing tears in her eyes rips something inside my heart, as her eyes hold so much sadness.

"Please..." She clenches her eyes, letting some of her tears escape from her eyes, "Never ... think ... like this ever again. I can't lose more ... from my life."

Winding her arms around me, she tightly holds me like she is afraid that I will be gone. Resting my cheek on her head, I hold her while in my heart I know just like she said, I will be always there for her whenever she will need me.

******************************************************

"Make yourself comfortable..." Lina signs as she opens her room door motioning me to come inside.

Slipping my hands inside my pockets I walk into the room, as I look around. Her suitcase and few travel bags are set in the corner of the room, which seems a little too much luggage to be on a ten days vacation.

Maybe girls carry this much stuff with them.

Lina got an important call and had to return to her room. So, I offered to drop to her room, however, when we reach here she asked me to stay here for a while as her work won't take much time.

Heading over to the study table, near the window and opens her laptop, and starts working on it. As I sit on the edge of the bed, feeling a little strange to be in her room.

Her phone's light up as a notification pops up on her screen. Since it is placed next to me on the bed, even though I didn't want but unintentionally I read the message which appeared on her home screen.

It is a picture message from some girl named Maria along with the word Mine. Although, I can't see the picture as I have to open the message for it, for some reason I don't get good feelings from this person who has texted Lina.

Lina's feet come before my sight as she picks up her phone. A moment later hurt flashes across her features when she reads the message.

I was right about not getting good vibes from the sender.

"Whose message is this?" I ask while pointing at her phone.

I don't care if I am sounding intrusive, because someone hurting her in any way makes my blood boil and I want to know who is this person.

"Somone who I can never be." A rueful smile settles on her lips as she signs while chewing her bottom lip. Letting out a small sigh, she switches off her phone and throws on the bed.

My hand shoots up as I grab her wrist and pulls her to me causing her to fall on my lap. Her eyes widen as she tries to stand up, but putting my arm around her I hold her not allowing her to stand.

"You don't need to be anyone." I gently push my fingers into her hair while cradling her face in my palm, "You are special... you might be a crackpot, but still, it doesn't change the fact that you are special." I slightly tease her wanting to wipe the sad look from her face. And it does work as her lips quirks up in a cute smile as she rolls her eyes at me.

"You are enough, Lina." I smile while running my thumb across her cheek.

Her smile drops a little as she swallows.

"I am not enough, Jason." She locks her gaze with mine, allowing me to see her vulnerability through her eyes, "I am not."

"To me, you are enough, I don't care what anyone else thinks." I shrug.

"Really?" She asks blinking in disbelief as if she can believe that this can be true.

"Yeah, really." I can't help but smile the way she is looking at me like I am the one who has every answer to her problem, while in reality it the other way around.

She is the one who held answers to my questions... questions which I had from my life. She showed me the path when I felt lost in this world.

She saved me when my own demons were killing me.

The cloud of doubt still lingers on her expression while there is a hint of hope in her eyes as well.

"Really?" She repeats again while hope shines in her eyes.

And this time instead of answering, I bring her face near to mine and press my lips against her.

*************************************************

Thank you for reading.