Chapter 15

Glancing at the bracelet, I smile thinking about Lina whom I have met just a few days back. She is like the fresh air which my life needed.

She challenges me, however, at the same time she helps me to overcomes those challenges. She doesn't know much about me, but it feels like she understands me better than others.

I realize I feel more like myself when I am with her. I just feel so normal... the silence feels normal like we do not need words to express ourselves. The more I spend time with her, the more I feel drawn to her, sometimes it seems like she is the bridge that will decrease the distance between old Jason and me.

Raking my hand through my hair, I shake my head and match the price tags of the items with the list in my hand. Today, I have told Lina that I will give her a tour of this town, for some reason I am more excited than her.

I am just trying to finish my work so that I can close my shop early when I inhale the salty air as somebody has opened the shop's door. Smiling, I walk from behind the aisle to the front door thinking it is Lina. However, my smile loses its brightness a little when I find Jessica standing there.

Jessica smiles at me, but I can see her apprehension behind her eyes. I have known her all my life, that I don't even remember when we had actually decided to spend our lives together. First asking her out, then finally proposing her for marriage, everything seems like something from the past.

The one you love is the one who hurts you the most.

But I felt more betrayed than hurt, which is something that is, even more, worse than feeling hurt. But now, watching her here, I do not feel anything at all.

Snapping out my thoughts, I focus on the girl standing in front of me, who was once my everything but now she nothing but a stranger.

"Hi," she says looking slightly nervous, her eyes move around the shop as if she looking for something, then returns to me.

Whereas in my mind, I can hear her voice remembering her soft tone which she used when she was nervous or scared.

"Hey."I smile back, trying to ease her nervousness which helped as her smile widens a bit.

"How are you?" She tries to sign and I can't help but laugh.

"You are still bad at it." I chuckle, remembering after my accident she tried to learn sign language but became frustrated when she could not, saying it makes her look crazy when she makes weird signs with her fingers.

Not even thinking that these weird signs are now my reality.

Now, when I think it seems nothing but funny because she was the same girl who used to flaunt our relationship in front of everyone, saying we were a perfect couple who understands each other silent thoughts.

She laughs looking embarrassed, while I ponder why is she here after all these months... after she had thrown everything which we had on my face.

She opens her mouth then closes as if she herself does not know why she is here.

"You can talk, I may not hear you, but still, I can understand you." I shrug nonchalantly.

"I saw you last night at the party and I was really happy to see you there," she speaks, and I glance at my bracelet to read what she is saying, "You were looking happy."

I was looking happy because I was.

When I look up there is an uneasy smile on her face.

"Yeah, I enjoyed last night. I thought about how long I can stop myself from living my life. I have to move on, just like others have moved on." I can't hide the bitterness in my voice, remembering how she returned my ring and saying she can't be with me, as every day with me is becoming difficult. She said she always wished for a normal life and she can't see that life with me.