Chapter 37

Caleb is really sweet and stays by my side the whole time, not letting me feel like I don't anyone here. He even introduced me to some of his friends, who were also equally nice.

Even Nick joined us from time to time, however, Jason has not come or neither talked to me. I see Jason and Jessica talking to other people whom I assume are their mutual friends, and other than a few glimpses in my direction he hasn't spoken to me.

I don't know what he wanted to talk about, but I guess whatever it is not as important.

While on the other hand, I am maintaining my distance from my family which is easier than I have thought. They have seen me because it is not like we can avoid each other at a party, but as usual, they are ignoring me and this time I don't even care because for the first even I am with the ones who actually want to talk to me.

Although a pang of hurt sear inside my heart when I watch Emmet happily chatting with Maria, while they tease and joke with each other. I just feel that even Emmet has replaced me in his life, and he is just happy with having Maria as his sister.

Swallowing the hurt, I look away from them and walk away from them.

"Is he your ex-boyfriend?" Caleb asks and when I look at him I notice he is eyeing Emmet.

"No." A rueful smile appears on my face, "He is my brother... half-brother."

"Your brother?" He looks surprised, "It means that your family is here?"

"Then why haven't you went to meet them?" He looks confused. "Are you mad at them?"

"They don't want me." For some reason, the truth comes out of my mouth, "Neither they want anything to do with me."

"What?" His sounds confused, but the hint of anger in his voice makes me smile.

"If they don't want you, then you also don't need them." He glares in the direction of Emmet and Maria, "They are jerks." He glances at me while his expression shows his anger.

"Stay with us, we want you." He smiles at me trying to cheer me up.

I just return his smile, because I don't know how to respond to him because in a few hours I will already be gone from here.

**********************************************

I laugh at something which Caleb tells me about some guy in his school who brags about everything, as my eyes shift to Jason. Jason and Jessica are dancing with each other, happily gazing into each other's eyes. I notice Jason tells something to Jessica which makes her smile, even more, wider.

Although my heart aches to see them together, at the same time, a part of me is extremely happy that finally, Jason has found his happiness. Now he doesn't need me anymore, and the last thing which was somewhere binding me to this place is also gone.

Turning my face away from them, I rest my arms over the wooden railing of the deck and stare at the ocean. Caleb sensed my hurt, so he suggested that we can move to the other part of the restaurant which is a little less crowded and from there we can even view the water. It surprises me how thoughtful and mature he is for his age.

"You love my brother?" He abruptly asks, while his straightforwardness takes me completely by surprise.

"Is it that obvious?" I smile while not bothering to deny. Finally, I have come to terms with my feelings, that I am in love with Jason.