Chapter 9

Later that day, mom called Nick home for dinner. I am somewhat relieved that mom was helping me in bridging the gap between us, which I created because of my stupidity and insecurity. I don't know what I would have done without her help.

I am following mom everywhere, just like a duckling follows its mother.

Glancing at the clock, I figure it is almost time for dad to come home. Not even a few minutes later dad enters the house, instantly I feel like losing all my bravery. As one look at my dad and I want to crawl back into somewhere and not to come out ever.

I am having the same feeling which I used to have when I had to show my report card to him.

Mom encouragingly pats my shoulder and gives me a reassuring smile. Dad notices our exchange and looks at mom. Silent communication is passed between them and a second later he glances at me as if he is waiting for me to say something.

Taking a deep breath, I walk to dad. Standing in front of him, I just don't know what to say, how to apologize to him. While I am not able to speak anything, it feels like with my hearing ability at this moment I have even lost my ability to talk.

I look at him, silently, as tears begin to gather in my eyes.

Opening and closing my mouth a few times, my shoulders slump in defeat, as dad expectantly stares at me.

Giving me a small smile, he gently pats my cheek understanding my unsaid words, mouthing. "It's okay."

My gaze falls to the ground in shame for the hundredth time.

"I am sorry, dad." I envelop him in a hug and instantly he returns my hug.

"My son." He pulls back for a moment, then hugs me again fiercely and even I return his hug with the same fierceness feeling happy to have him back as I have thought with my outburst I have lost him. All his emotions are visible in his eyes.

Mom taps on my shoulder with a tear-filled smile and points at the door, where Nick is standing.

Nick glares at me, while I notice his red-rimmed eyes and dark circles under them.

"You owe me an apology, but don't you think that I will forgive you so easily." Clenching his jaws, he just talks to me using signs.

Quickly I go to him and holding his hand I raise it to slap myself, but he quickly pulls back.

"Slap me as hard as you can. Slap me and release all your anger on me, but after that, I need my friend back."

"Do you know how much you have hurt me? You are my brother how can you think I don't understand your pain?" His hand movements are shaky, as he is controlling himself not to cry.

"How can you think that we look at you any differently after your accident?" He throws his hand up in frustration.

"You are still the same for us. You are still that Jason, the same bastard whom I have known all my life, just you need to understand this thing. Your hearing disability can't lessen our love for you." He points at his ears. "So instead of keeping everything inside, talk to us. When you feel down, or need someone to share your feelings, come to us. We will always be there for you. But don't be a jerk to us."

Then suddenly he slaps me, making me hold my stinging cheek as I watch him with an open mouth completely in shock.

"I can't pass your offer to slap you. It was too much tempting." He shrugs smirking.

And with that, I know everything between us is back to normal.

There is only one person left without whom my life is incomplete, who has been deeply affected by my words.