Chapter: 21

Lina's POV

It feels really nice when you are feeling actually happy, and not just pretending to be happy. Jason unknowingly played a great part in helping me cope up with my pain.

Knowing about Chris and Maria's engagement has again reopened my wounds but surprisingly they don't hurt as much as before. Because somewhere I don't feel alone, and it is because of Jason.

At first, he did come off as an arrogant person, but his rudeness was just his defense mechanism to protect himself from the sympathies of others. However, what he doesn't know that I can never feel pity for him, though I do envy him as he has people around him to whom he matters and who loves him.

Life has gifted him so many reasons to be happy, while my own life consists of trying to steal a ray of happiness for myself from other's happiness.

I have accepted that I can never find my own happiness, however, I have not given up on the idea of being happy. Because if I don't have happiness in my fate then it doesn't mean I can't experience the feeling of being content by celebrating other's happiness.

But sometimes such moments come in my life which makes me realize no matter how much I will try, I am not destined to be happy.

"Ow!" I flinch as my handbag falls from my hand, causing all my stuff to scatter around in the sand when literally out of nowhere a ball hits me. "Are you blind!" I yell, turning around from the direction where the ball has come from.

"No, I am deaf." A sheepish smile appears on Jason's face as he approaches me. "Sorry." He scrunches up his nose, looking damn cute when I rub the spot on my arm where the ball made the contact.

"What are you doing here at the beach?" My lips curve into a smile as I cover my eyes with my hand to shield them from the sunlight which is directly shining on my face.

Today is Sunday, and since the shop is closed I thought he might be chilling at home as I have figured he is not comfortable being around people as he becomes self-conscious. However, I am genuinely feeling glad that he is trying to overcome his insecurities.

Slightly, moving to the right he covers the sun behind him, as his shadow falls on my face.

"I am playing beach volleyball with my friends." He jerks his thumb over his shoulder with a small smile appearing on his lips.

"That's not called playing volleyball, it is called hitting a girl." I tease him while throwing the ball towards him which he catches singlehandedly. However, when I notice a flicker of confusion on his face as he must have not understood any of my words, I quickly sign.

He throws his head back while briefly closing his eyes, as his carefree laugh rings in my ear spreading warmth inside my chest.

"Umm... guys, our game is paused, so can you return the ball so we can continue with our game?" Nick runs and slaps Jason's shoulder. Jason reads what Nick has said on his watch's screen and rolls his eyes as he hands him the ball.

"Nick, can Lina join us for a game? I feel that she thinks we don't know how to play volleyball, " Jason glances at Nick while a devilish smile appears on his lips, stopping Nick when he is just about to leave, "Am I right?" He looks at me pretending to look innocent.

"Is it so? Then why don't you come and play volleyball with us?" Nick arches his eyebrow, as his lips twist in a challenging smirk.

My own lips mirror his smile as I extend my hand towards him silently accepting the challenge. For as long as I can remember I am have been playing volleyball, that at one time I even consider making it a career.