eight.

Maeve was exhausted.

She was already doing overtime on her shift when she got a call from Stiles in hysterics asking her to come to the hospital. Maeve had been completely invested in her case for almost the past two days that the alpha drama had barely been her top thought.

Maeve sighed in annoyance walking through the halls, of course Stiles wasn't where he asked to meet her.

"Stiles?" Maeve looked around the hallway, cops coming in and out, "Stiles!"

Maeve spotted Melissa walking out of the guarded room, jogging after her, "Nurse McCall? Hi, do you know what's going on?"

Melissa turned to Maeve, the both of them stared at Lydia through the glass,  "The poor girl got attacked by an animal on the school field."

Maeve stared at the claw marks on her body, gulping nervously. Killing Laura and turning Scott just wasn't enough for Peter.

Maeve grew nervous, "Did you see where Stiles went?"

"That way I think," Melissa nodded into the exiting hallway, Maeve smiled gratefully, walking in that direction.

"Detective? This isn't just about animal attacks, is it?" Melissa called after her.

Maeve sighed, shaking her head, "I don't think so."

Maeve followed the shouting down the hallways, holding back her groan of annoyance at the sight of Jackson Whittemore surrounded by a group of hunters.

Dean absolutely detested Jackson Whittemore, and by the smug luck on Jackson's face, she could see why.

Maeve pulled her badge out of her pocket, thankful that the hunters holding Jackson back didn't recognise her, "Put him down!"

"Whittemore!"

Jackson looked up in shock, falling back in relief at the sight of her, "Get these freaks away from me!"

The hunters released Jackson from their hold, scattering out of the hallway, Maeve rolled her eyes, approaching the teen.

"Are you okay?" Maeve questioned.

Jackson nodded slowly, pointing to the closet, "Stilinski's in there."

Maeve pushed open the door, nervously glancing between Stiles and Chris, her arrival going unnoticed by her uncle.

"Burn the house down around him?"

Maeve felt her breath catch in her throat, watching Chris carefully, "I hate to dispel a popular rumour stiles but we never did that."

"Oh right," Stiles laughed mockingly, "Derek said you guys had a code. I guess that doesn't apply to when Maeve was pregnant when your sister tried to burn her alive! I guess no one breaks it...."

Chris followed Stiles' gaze onto Maeve, his niece stared back at him sadly, and in that second he knew Stiles was telling the truth.