Chapter 15

HAVEN ISLES

(a few days before the events of the last chapter)

~~*~~

Lightglider just knew something was wrong.

It has been two complete full moons, actually nearly three if one was to count that night, and Sunflower has still yet to be found. There's no trace of her anywhere. Not a scale or blood or signs of a fight, not even a scorch mark with the ancient symbols of the Moon dragons that they use to let them know she's been around some of the smaller islands outside of the Haven, nothing. And to be honest, it both relaxed and terrified the young Light Fury. On one wing at least she knew the Sun Fury was not hurt as far as she or anyone else knew, but on the wing that meant something else must've happened.

It was an unsettling feeling and had she not have had any duties to maintain, Lightglider was sure she would have been withering away in a panicked worry and blowing things up; the latter part is due to the many dragons who were getting on her nerves. The threat outside of the island has been growing over the three months, and due to one of their heavy hitters having vanished into thin air, everyone's spirits were lowering and with their fear rising, many were beginning to act out and it was only just a matter of time before Deathslayer lost any, if not all, credibility as leader, the others more than willing to overthrow his rule. Many weren't too fond of the male, despite him having led a great majority to safety all those years ago, many just kept quiet about their dislike but recently, with all their fears arise, many have begun to speak out - the Monstrous Nightmares fueling this even more. It also didn't help that Deathslayer is of the Fury species, it was a known fact that the species weren't well-liked amongst most of the other races, the hatred steaming the lack of knowledge and the more superior skill-set — the fact that there was a rather believed rumor that it was also a Fury that started the mad rush to hunt and kill all of the dragons also fueled more of their hatred and mistrust in them as well.

'A bunch of morons they all are,' Lightglider growled mentally to herself as she walked down the rather large tunnel of Watchers Cave. 'It's been a majority of the remaining Furies who has kept them all safe all these years and they aren't in the least bit grateful!' She was beginning to understand why most of the elders refused to leave their caves and mingle unless it was an absolute emergency, she was about to give up and do the same. Why protect those who were just going to condemn you, anyways? Lightglider had seen the looks that were starting to be thrown her way when she passed any dragon; looks full of suspicion and weariness, like they expected her to turn and attack. It's not like she was, she wasn't that dumb. Sure, she had her moments, increasingly so since the start of everything and Orion's still constant 'mating' talk, but the mistrust everyone was displaying made her feel... edgy. And now that she truly got down to thinking about it, she realized that it wasn't just the Furies everyone showed distrust in, even if that mistrust was much more noticeable - but maybe that was just her being biased as it was her species. The once peaceful mass of conjoined islands was slowly turning into what she imagined the outer lands to be.

So lost in her thoughts, the Light Fury didn't notice the looming form of Cinder, a Monstrous Nightmare, standing in front of her until she all but slammed into him. Letting out a hiss of startlement, Lightglide jumped back with a shake of her head, a tenseness running through her muscles as she glanced up at the glaring face. Sparks of fire crackling down his body, his red eyes which seemed to glow in the slight darkness of the tunnel seemed to pierce her soul.

He was one of the ones who vocally protested against the Furies. Challenging Deathslayer left and right for as long as she could remember. Getting into fights win others, mostly the Ice Dragons, and just causing trouble. Not many liked him, but as much as he is hated, no could deny his worth when it came to battling outsiders and the strength, the power, he showed.