Chapter Twelve

AN: Alright everyone, welcome to Chapter Twelve! We'll begin with Sorina and then shift gears. There is a trigger warning for Sorina this chapter, due to some violence. I'll give you a heads up just before it begins. Hope you enjoy! Be sure to drop some comments as you read! Now onward and forward to Chapter Twelve!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*Sorina*

I was walking to the throne room the next morning, but stopped short when I heard someone mention my surname. I hid behind a corner and listened. Maybe this would lead me to the traitor.

"It seems the Drakes have fallen so far."

"Indeed. They've gone from choosing Mercers as Consorts to choosing Hunters and humans."

"What the King of Night and the Queen of Twilight were thinking, I'll never know."

My eyes widened. The very mention of Stefan's title was alarming. No one knew that Stefan had found his future Consort. I peered around the corner and saw Lady Pennington talking to Lord Marin.

"Humans are inferior to us," Lord Marin was saying, "Why should we hide in the shadows and in their stories? We should rule them!"

"And how do you propose we do that?" Lady Pennington asked.

"Marius wants the throne and I intend to help him get it," Lord Marin replied.

"What's in it for me?" Lady Pennington asked, "Why should I continue to serve Marius?"

"You'll get to see the Queen of the Stars be reduced to nothing," Lord Marin told Lady Pennington.

"Good," Lady Pennington smirked, "That little harlot deserves to be punished for stealing the High One for herself." I gasped in shock.

"We'll talk more later. We should get to the throne room," Lord Marin stated.

"Wait, I think I heard something," Lady Pennington told Lord Marin. I began to panic. Had she heard me?

Suddenly, someone covered my mouth with their hand and twisted one of my arms behind my back before dragging me out in front of Lord Marin and Lady Pennington.

"You two truly are incompetent!" my captor hissed, "Why would you have such a conversation out in the open?!"

"Sorry Nadia," Lady Pennington stated. Nadia?! As in, Damien's former messenger? But why was she involved in this?

"Thanks to your incompetence, we'll have to take a hostage," Nadia growled.

"But won't her family be suspicious if she doesn't show up for Court today?" Lady Pennington asked.

"No," Nadia replied as she pulled my phone out of my back pocket and handed it to me, "Type a message to Damien. Tell him you're not feeling well and won't be making it to Court this morning. Do it! Now!"

Fearing for my safety, I did as she said. I typed out a message to Damien and hit send. But before I could do anything else, Nadia snatched my phone out of my hands and threw it on the ground before stomping on it, breaking it and rendering it useless.