Chapter 24

Supper was uneventful. It reminded you somewhat of Pearson's stew. Although Pearson could probably teach your landlady a thing or two about cooking. Something that you never thought you would say.

If the job at the stable worked out, you thought you might try finding other lodgings. Somewhere you could cook your own food.

For now this would have to do.

You doubted, if any of the gang were looking for you, they would find you very easily. Besides, the had no idea which direction you went in.

You went straight to your room after supper. You unstrapped your chest. It was uncomfortable, but a means to an end. You would just re strap it in the morning, before your first days work at the stables.

It was still dark when you woke. You were well rested, and you wanted to make sure you were at the stables for your first day on time. The clock read 5.30, you had no idea what time the sun rose, but you didn't think it would be long. You needed this job if you were going to make it here, for the next 3 months. If the job didn't work out, plan B was to steal a few wagons and sell them to Seamus. But that was very risky, as word would likely get back to Arthur, and he would be able to track you down.

You quickly strapped yourself back up, and threw on your shirt. Leaving the house, you headed to the stables.

The sun was just peaking over the horizon as you approached the stables.

The stable master, was already there, and it looked as though you were the first to arrive.

He nodded at you. "You can brush the horses in stables one through five. Come and see me when you're done." He ordered.

You nodded, and started on the first horse. It was a beautiful black Arab stallion. It reminded you a bit of The Count. Although not quite as grumpy, although still a little skittish.

You'd just finished brushing him, and was about to go to the next one.

You noticed the Stable owner watching you.

"You're very good with the horses," he commented.

"Thank you, sir," you replied, lowering your voice.

"Come and see me once you've finished those five, I've got another job for you,"

You nodded and carried on.

The five horses that you dealt with were the Arab, a couple of Dutch warmbloods, and appaloosa and a Tennessee walker. None of them caused you any issues.

You went to find the stable owner. He pointed you towards another five horses. You thought you might have to muck out stables, or clean tack. Much to the annoyance of the other stable lads, it appeared that you were going to be doing most of the grooming. This suited you perfectly. You liked nothing better, than being around the horses.

At the end of the day, you got your wages. $3 which just about covered your lodging and food. It was all you needed really. Although you realised you wouldn't get much rest for the next 3 months just to survive. It suddenly made you realise how easy you had it before.

You worked at the stables for the next week. Most days you would reach your lodging, eat supper, then go straight to bed exhausted. Some days you were more tired than others. The days when you had to clean out the stables, you found more tiring than the grooming. You were glad when you finished on Saturday. You were supposed to have Sunday off. That's until the Stable owner approached you.