BTHOL [29]

"How dare you say that to him?! You should've answered him politely! Why do you have to embarass me?!"

Mom was fuming mad as she shout at me. She was pacing back and forth as she massage her temples. 

"I just told him the right words, Mom. Totoo naman pong may boyfriend ako. And I don't want him to think that I'm interested. Why would he introduce me to his son, anyway?"

"You should've just said yes! Hindi naman ibig sabihin no'n ay pumayag ka na kaagad na nirereto ka niya sa bunsong anak niya!"

"So, I'm right? Nirereto niya nga talaga sa akin ang anak niya?"

"My God, Janniza! Where are your brains?!"

"Janine," suway ni Daddy. "Why are you putting the blame on your daughter? You obviously disrespect her relationship with Sean. She just did the right thing."

"I am not disrespecting her relationship with Sean! I am just trying to introduce her to someone else!"

"Introduce her for what? Alam mong hindi mabilis maging komportable ang anak mo sa ibang tao. And she have a boyfriend."

"That's why I'm trying to practice with her! And Sean is just her boyfriend! They're not married yet!"

"Is that the reason why they visited? Para ipakilala mo ang anak mo sa ibang lalaki?" mahina ngunit may diing tanong ni Daddy.

"Yes!" malakas na sigaw ni Mommy. "Mabuti nang siguradong may makakapitan kaagad tayo kapag naghiwalay na silang dalawa ni Sean! Hindi pwedeng umasa lang tayo sa mga Ryker!"

"What are you saying?"

Nanlilisik ang mga matang tumingin siya sa akin. "Are you dumb? Where did your brain go?! Hindi mo pa ba naiintindihan ang nangyayari?!"

I clenched my fists to stop myself from uttering words that I knew she wouldn't like.

"Our business is failing! And your relationship with Sean isn't helping anymore! We need someone else to back us up!"

"What do you mean?" Mas lalo lang akong naguluhan. "What does our relationship has to do with our business?"

"That's enough," malumanay na suway ni Daddy.

"Do you really think that I'll allow you to be in a relationship that easily?" tanong niya sa akin.

"What?"

"I let you date him because I know that they can somehow find interest in our business. And it happened! Their family made an investment but now that we're failing, they're trying to leave us behind! Wala silang ginagawa para tulungan ang kompanya!"

"Their family isn't responsible for that, Mom!"

"They are! They wanted to be always on top that's why they're going to leave us behind para hindi madumihan ang pangalan nila at madawit sa atin!"

"I said, that's enough!" sigaw ni Daddy. "Let's talk in my office," baling niya kay Mommy.

"We have nothing to talk about---"

"I said, now!"

I watched as they entered Dad's office. I left the house absentmindedly and went to Sean's unit. 

I even almost forgot that we had a plan to eat dinner together today. Sean came on time, I was just a few minutes ahead.

Pagkapasok niya ay agad na nagtama ang paningin namin. He walks over me. Bago pa man siya tuluyang makaupo ay niyakap ko na siya sa bewang. 

Maingat niyang ipinatong sa mesa iyong coat niya bago ako marahang hinila patayo upang yakapin pabalik.

"What's wrong?" malambing na tanong niya.