BTHOL [30]

As a tourism management graduate, I had dreams of exploring the world and working in exotic locations. However, fate had different plans for me. I decided to put my dreams on hold to stay at home to help manage our family business.

"What are you doing here again?" kunot-noong tanong ko kay Sean.

I'm at the company today to hopefully visit Daddy and get knowledge on how to run our business because I am very determined to help but I wasn't expecting to see Sean.

"I thought we had an understanding. I asked you not to get involved," I added. 

I turned to the office he came from and saw that it was my mother's office.

"Your mom needed some urgent help, and I thought it was a one-time thing, love," he explained immediately. 

He gently tried to hold my hand but I avoided it. I turned my back on him before hurrying to the parking lot.

When we reached the parking, I sighed heavily before facing him. 

"I told you to stay away from her."

"You know I couldn't just turn her away when she said she needed help. It's not that simple, she's your mother."

I clenched my fists. "Not that simple? It's exactly that simple, Sean. She's using you, and you're letting her. Hindi mo ba nakikita kung bakit pinapalayo kita sa kanya? She's been wanting to use you for our company. She's taking advantage of your kindness."

Right after my graudation, I talked to him about what is happening in our family. I don't want to hide anything from him. 

He told me that he won't do anything that will make me feel uncomfortable. Iyon ang pinanghahawakan ko ngayon.

He tried to reach me out but I pulled away. 

"Don't get mad, please. I'm sorry. I just want to help. If I can make a difference, why shouldn't I?"

"Sean, it's not your responsibility to help. She's my mom, and it's our company's mess to clean up. I told you to stay away from her, but you can't seem to respect my wishes."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry, love. I just want to help, and if that means upsetting you, I'm sorry. But I can't stand by when someone needs assistance, especially when it's your Mom. After all, it was your family's business."

"That's the point, Sean. That's our business. Hindi ka na dapat iniinvolve ni Mommy," inis na sabi ko. "If you can't stand by when I ask you to, then maybe you should just leave. I can't have someone in my life who doesn't respect my boundaries and prioritizes my mom over me."

"What?" Nakita ko ang gulat sa mga mata niya nang sabihin ko iyon. "What are you saying? Love, please..."

"I'm sorry," I told him before leaving.

I am so mad at myself for acting that way in front of him but if I go back now to talk to him about that, I know our argument will only get worse. I need to divert my frustration first before talking to him again.

He tried to talk to me the whole day but I busied myself reading a lot about our business. Tumigil lang siguro ako nang makitang hindi na si Sean ang tumatawag sa akin, kung hindi ang Mommy niya. 

I couldn't answer it right away dahil medyo nagdadalawang isip ako but when I received a text message that she want to meet me. Pumayag kaagad ako at tumigil sa ginagawa. 

I have no idea on why she wants to see me kaya naman kinakabahan ako habang naghihintay sa kanya. As the door chimed, I looked up to see Tita Shane.

"Thank you for accepting my request," bungad niya sa akin.