BTHOL [32]

The days that followed were a blur for me. I navigated the hospital's paperwork, consulted with doctors, and tried to help in saving the company. The weight of responsibility bore down on my shoulders. 

Wala akong katuwang, wala akong kasama, wala akong masandalan. I only have my Dad now.

I went to the hospital's billing department to settle my father's mounting medical expenses.

"I'm here to pay for my dad's bills," I said.

The receptionist looked up, her eyes softening and asked for my Dad's details. I politely gave it to her. After a few minutes, ngumiti ito sa akin. 

"Your father's bills have already been taken care of, Ma'am."

My eyes widened in surprise. "What do you mean?" takang tanong ko. "Are you sure? I haven't paid anything yet."

The receptionist checked the records before looking back at me with a warm smile. "A man came by earlier and settled the entire outstanding amount. He said he wanted to help," she answered. "But he told us to hide his identity."

Napalunok ako. "Can you... at least tell me para makapagpasalamat ako?" I said. 

Nag-aalangan siyang tumingin sa akin bago bumuntong-hininga.

"Hindi po ako sigurado dahil hindi ko naman po sila nakikita," she said. "But he's a Ryker, Ma'am. Engineer po ata."

My eyes grew wider as I took out my phone and show her Sean's picture. Bumilis ang tibok ng puso ko nang tumango ito. 

"Siya nga po. Pasensya na po, apilyedo lang po ang alam ko at hindi ang mga pangalan at mukha nila. Kakaalis niya lang din po, Ma'am."

My confusion turned to anger. Why would he do that? 

My mind raced with questions as I stormed out of the billing department, determined to confront him. Luckily, naabutan ko siya sa parking lot. Tiim-bagang akong naglakad palapit sa kanya.

"Sean," I called his name.

He turned to me in surprise. "Avril."

"Why did you do that?" I asked immediately. "Bakit kailangan mong bayaran? That cost a lot of money!"

Humugot siya ng malalim na hininga bago sumagot sa akin. "I know this will make you upset, but I just wanted to help. I couldn't stand by and watch you struggle."

"I don't need your charity!" I shouted. "I can take care of this."

"I understand," tumatangong sambit niya. "And I'm not trying to undermine your strength. I just wanted to ease some of the burden that you are carrying. Your family has been through a lot, and sometimes it's okay to accept help."

Inis kong pinaalis ang luha sa mga mata ko. "I didn't ask for your help, Sean. I never needed it."

"I get that." He nodded, a somber look on his face. "I just hope you know that I only wanted to do what I thought was right."

"Look, I appreciate whatever good intentions you think you have, but we broke up, remember? Sean, hiwalay na tayo. Wala nang tayo. I don't need you meddling in my life anymore. I can handle things on my own."

"I know we're not together anymore," may bahid na sakit sa boses niya. "But that doesn't mean I've stopped caring about you and your family. I just wanted to help, that's all."

"Well, I don't need your help." My tone grew sharper. "I never asked for it, and I certainly don't want it."

Sean nodded, a pained expression crossing his face. "I hear you, Avril. I won't interfere anymore. This will be the last." Ngumiti siya sa akin. "But remember, if you ever change your mind or if things get too tough, I'm here."