Chapter 20: Fourth Of July

~Demi~

I grin, putting on a USA shirt and some shorts on before slipping on my sandals. I grab my guitar and put the strap over my shoulder before walking out of the cabin. I walk to the lake where everyone was either sitting, talking or eating some steak out.

"Hey honey," I say, kissing Nick on the cheek as he serves some steak to a couple of kids. He grins at me before kissing me softly and I help out serving some food to the kids.

"Hi guys," Piper says as she skips over to us, her face painted with blue, red and white strips. I grin at her and kissed her forehead as she grabs a piece of bread.

"What's up?" I say and hand Nick a plate of corn. He takes it before serving it to some counselors.

"Just waiting for you and Nick to sing, and the fireworks too." She grins at us and we chuckle at her.

"Well we're gonna sing soon, don't worry. Go on and play, we're almost done here." I say and she nods before running off to go play some soccer with the other kids.

"What's on your mind?" Nick asks me, nudging me softly as I took a small bite of the steak I got. I shrug, sitting down on a plastic chair as he flips over the steaks but still watches me.

"Summer's almost over, I'm just gonna miss this place." I say quietly and he turns down the fire before coming over to me, sitting down beside me then grabs my hand, his thumb softly caress my knuckles.

"And?" He encourages softly.

"And I'm going to miss Piper like hell, she'll go back to the orphanage and I'll start touring again." I say, looking at him with watery eyes, my voice cracking just a bit as I played with his fingers.

"Well what do you think of doing?" He asks me and I softly sigh, looking around before whispering to him when I saw no one was listening to us.

"Adopting her, but I don't know."

He nods, smiling softly. "But you don't wana rip her away from her family, right?" He says and I nod, burying my face in his chest as he wraps his arms around me. See, this is something I also like about Nick, he understands me and I don't have to say anything because he knows exactly what I'm thinking. One of the perks of being friends for years is to know what the other is thinking without making them say it out loud.

"Yeah, she's so close with them." I say, closing my eyes as he rubs my arms comfortingly.

"I know but you do want to keep in contact with her, don't you?" He whispers into my ear and I nodded.

"Yeah, she's important to me now." I say softly and he kisses my head before pulling away. He smiles at me and helps me stand.

"You'll think of something, don't worry princess," He says and I smiled at him. He turns off the grill and walks with me, holding hands, to everyone who sat near the lake. The sun was setting and there was a fire going on.

"Hey guys, happy Fourth of July," I say, grinning at them as I took a seat on a log and Nick sits down beside me, grabbing his own guitar. "so since it's Independence Day and everyone's celebrating so now we're just gonna sing Made In The USA. Hope you love it," I say before grabbing my guitar from my back and setting it on my lap. I turn to Nick and smiled at him, he winks at me and I giggle.

"One, two, three," I whisper before we started to strum our guitars together.

"Our love runs deep like a Chevy, If you fall I'll fall with you baby; 'Cause that's the way we like to do it; That's the way we like," I sing, looking directly at Nick as I grin while singing.

"You run around open doors like a gentlemen, And tell me,"

"Girl, every day your my everything." He quickly sings and I giggle as he shots me a grin.

"'Cause that's the way you like to do it, That's the way you like," I sing before we both started to sing the next verse, never looking away from each other.

"Just a little West Coast, and a bit of sunshine; Hair blowing in the wind, losing track of time; Just you and I, just you and I; Woah, woah," We sang together and after we finish the song, I laugh as everyone claps but then hands grab my face and Nick pressed his lips against mine. I kissed him back, closing my eyes as I grab his face.

"Get a room!" I heard Connor yell and I giggle before pulling away from Nick, I open my eyes and smiled at Nick.

"Because our love was made in the USA," Nick sings softly to me and I smiled at him. "It was," I say softly then smiled at everyone who laughs at Connor's joke.

Suddenly, fireworks shot up from the middle of a lake, where a boat was. People gasps and stood up to look at all the fireworks. I grin as the fireworks explode my ears, Nick grabs my hand as we look at all the fireworks. Piper runs over to us and tugs on my shirt, I lift her up and hoist her on my hip so I was holding her. Nick leaves for a moment while me and Piper watches the fireworks. Everyone 'ohing' and 'ahing' in content.

Nick brings back some Sparkles and hands us each one, he lights them for us and we start running around. We laugh, played and screamed into the night as we all enjoyed a good time.

Just having a good time.

Pssst. This book is coming to an end in like two chapters. Just giving you a heads up. :)