Chapter 5: Canoes

~Demi~

I was peacefully sleeping when all of a sudden, water was poured onto my face. I gasp, sitting up but squealed when I hit my head against the bunk side. I wince as I rub my throbbing forehead, groaning while the person laughs.

"Get up bitch, its lunchtime." I heard Alena say before leaving the cabin.

"Ugh, let me fucking sleep." I mumble as I crawl away from the bunks, I sigh as I stood up and stretch. Yeah I totally slept on the floor, alone I think. I shrug to myself before getting ready. Opening the cabin door, I walk outside to get some lunch and see whats everyone up to.

Eating a muffin, I stroll next to the lake. I furrow my eyebrows, looking at the canoe in the middle of the lake and saw a small person in it, and isn't freaking out like one would except them to. Squinting my eyes a little so I can see who it is, and when I reconize them, I gasp and drop my muffin.

"Piper?!" I screamed, she turns around at the sound of my voice and waves.

"Hi Demi!" She yells and waves. I open and close my mouth, flopping my arms around in confusion as I thought of how the hell is she in a canoe, alone, in the middle of a godamn lake!?

I groan, running to the docks and grab a life vest. I put it on me before diving inside the lake, I swam over to her canoe and climb inside, dripping wet I look at Piper as she smiles sheepishly.

"What the fuck are you doing out here alone?!" I yell, throwing my hands in the air. She grins and says,

"I wanted to go canoeing but you were asleep so I went by myself," I raise a eyebrow but grab the paddles and started to paddle except, it breaks once I hit it too hard against the canoe.

I groan, face palming myself as I let it go while Piper giggled her cute little face off. Wait, did I just call her cute? I'm not even close to the girl, I just keep insulting her for fuck's sake.

"Shut the fuck up you little shit, it's not even fucking funny so do me a goddamn favor and shut up." I say through gritted teeth, glaring at her. She shuts up immediately and sighs before turning around, dipping her feet in the water. I laid down on the seat, throwing my arm over my face to block out the sun.

After a while of silence, Piper speaks up again and I mentally groan in my head. "Do you like camp, Demi?"

"No,"

"Then why did you came here in the first place?"

"Because I was fucking forced to! I didn't even wanted to come here in the first place! Now I'm suck at this crappy camp for the rest of the mother fucking summer! This camp sucks ass and I'll do anything to get out of this hell hole."

She goes quiet for a moment and I'm honestly grateful for that.

"So you don't wanna be here with me?"

"No, I don't wanna be here, or anywhere near you, or anywhere near this camp!"

"Then fine!" She suddenly screams and I look up at her sudden yell. "I don't wanna be here either! Much less with you! Because your just this mean woman who is a jerk to everyone for no reason! I wanted to have fun and make new friends and do new things! With you! But your never around! And I hate that! I hate that your never around! I hate that no one is around anymore!" She screams, pain and hurt plastered across her face. She heaves, her chest goes up and down as she breathes in heavily. Her fists curls against her sides as she looks at me with a frown on her lips.

I gave her a poker face. "Then leave because no one is gonna be around for you or much less care about you." I snap, the words cold and harsh against my tongue. I didn't care about Piper, I didn't care about anyone, much less a fucked up seven year old.

She huffs, stomping her foot and going to the other side of the canoe and sits down, her back face to me. I shrug, not caring and turn around too.

We didn't talk for hours, it was already dark and we still hadn't gotten out of this stupid canoe. We're still pissed at each other but never spoke up to apologize. I wasn't going to apologize anytime soon unless that drunk driver says he's fucking sorry for what he did to me.

The stars were out and apparently, no one came to look for us. I was about to jump in the lake and swim back to the docks until fireflies came out. I smile a little, catching a few and trapping them inside my hands. I move my thumb a little so I can peak inside, the fireflies glows inside my hands.

I turn my head around to glance at Piper, watching her catch a few fireflies with this huge grin across her face. My eyes widened as she trips, squeals and falls into the lake.

"Piper!" I screamed and stood up, letting go of the fireflies in my hands and rushing over to the other side of the canoe.

I jump in when I realize she didn't had a life vest. "Piper?!" I screamed when I surface, not finding her underwater because it was damn dark.

"Demi?" I heard Piper say above me and I look up, watching a sly smirk form on her face as she stands at the side of the canoe.

"How? Ho-How did yo-you get there whe-" She cuts me off as I stutter, awfully confused of why is she in the canoe, not in the damn lake.

"I can swim Demi, I climbed the canoe while you jumped in." She says and smiles at me. I narrow my eyes at her, glaring at her before climbing inside the canoe again. Can't believe she actually made me jump in and looked like I cared and shit.

"Fine, whatever." I say and taking off the life vest, I put it on Piper instead and she smirks at me the entire time.

"You care," She cooes, a smile on her face as I strap the belt around her waist.

"I don't care, I don't care about you, I was just worried if er you killed uh the fireflies." Wow, nice save Demi. Give yourself a pat to the back, I mentally rolled my eyes.

Piper rolls her eyes at me before going over to the other side of the boat, grabbing the broken paddle. "You care," She chims and I roll my eyes before helping her getting us back to the docks.

"Don't."

"Do."

"Do not."

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Do too!"

"Say it one more time kid and I swear you'll be sleeping on the floor this time,"

She giggles as she hops on the docks, me trailing behind her. I really wanted a shower, and food, and a bed, and food; did I say food yet? Yeah, I'm fucking hungry.

"You care!" She yells, probably wanting the whole camp to know.

"I don't! Now shut up already!' I yelled and she just giggles before skipping off to the mess hall. I followed her.

"Demi cares! Demi cares about me! She cares! She has a heart! She's actually human! So she cares!" She keeps ranting on while I gave death glares at the back of her head.

"So I used to be a unknown creature or some weird shit?" I say, stopping before the mess hall doors while Piper stood in front of me, smiling at me.

"Yep because you had no heart,"

I roll my eyes, while she giggles I open the door to the mess hall and we walk inside. It was quiet, dark and well no one was in here.

"Come on," I say, flicking a few lights on while I trug over to the kitchen. I made us some snacks before we left to our cabin.

We got ready for bed and once we were done, I flop down on my bed and sigh in content.

"Goodnight Demi," Piper whispers, not wanting to wake up Alena and Bronte.

"Goodnight hermosa."