Why Didn't You Say Anything?! (Spitfire)

Wally stumbled onto the bioship with his teammates. The mission had gone terribly wrong, and they'd had to retreat. "You good Arty?" He asked his girlfriend.

"Yep. You?"

"Fine and dandy."

A few minutes later, the team finally started talking. "I honestly think this was even worse than the attack on the cave," Robin said. "Don't you, Art?"

No response.

"Arty?" Wally asked, looking towards the blonde. Her head was slumped against her chest. At first Wally thought that she was simply asleep, but then he realized he could barely see her breathing. He jumped to his feet. "Arty! Wake up!" No response. "Artemis, this is not funny, WAKE UP!" Artemis didn't even twitch.

Wally looked her over, trying to figure out what was wrong. He unzipped her jacket and gasped. There were bandages wrapped around her stomach, soaking wet with blood. He gulped and unwrapped the bandage, exposing what was clearly a bullet wound. What had happened? Well, she got shot, obviously, but when? And why hadn't she said anything?! And why the heck was it bandaged already?

"Oh, sh**," Raquel breathed. "When did that happen?"

"I don't know!" Wally cried out, distressed.

Robin slammed is fist down. "I bet it was when she went off to fight Cheshire and Sportsmaster alone! WHY did we let her do that?!"

Zatanna sighed. "Because we're stupid and she's stubborn."

"Let's just get her back to to the mountain," Kaldur said.

Conner was already calling Black Canary to warn her that Artemis would need immediate medical attention. It didn't take much longer for them to get back to the cave. Artemis was put in med bay, and no one except members of the League were allowed to go in. About an hour later, Black Canary said that they could come in, but that Artemis was still asleep.

They all wandered in. Time went by, and one by one, they all left. Except for Wally. He stayed at his girlfriend's side. Hours later, Barry came, telling him he had to go home, school would start in three hours. Wally shook his head. Barry grabbed him and tried to pull him out of the room, but Wally clutched tight to Artemis' hand. Barry didn't want to risk hurting her any more than she already was, so he just stopped.

"Arty," Wally whispered desperately.

Artemis' eyes fluttered open, and Wally sighed with relief.

"W-wally?"

"Good morning, Beautiful. You got shot. Why didn't you say anything?!"

"I-" Suddenly, she froze, her eyes going as wide as saucers. Suddenly she started to spasm. Her eyes rolled up in her head.

"Arty?! Artemis?! BLACK CANARY, SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH ARTEMIS!"

"WHAT?!" Dinah arrived within seconds. She paused at the doorway, shocked by what she was seeing. The she ran over to Artemis, sitting down next to her. She tried to wake the blonde teen up, but got nothing for it but a punch to the arm from a spasm. She turned to Wally, pointing towards a steel tray. "That tray has blood test equipment on it, bring it over! Hurry, but don't drop or break anything!"

Wally sped over and back. Dinah told him to hold down Artemis' arm and Dinah drew a vial of blood. Once she was done, she slapped a bandaid on it. She told Wally to watch his girlfriend and hurried out of the room. Wally took Artemis' hand and gently rubbed circles on the back of it as she jerked.

An hour later, Batman walked into the room, flipping through several pieces of paper.

"Well, what's wrong with her?!"

Batman sighed. "Wallace, when you and the rest of the team arrived here, she didn't have much time left, we removed the bullet and stitched her up as fast as we could, and we still almost lost her. We didn't have time to run any tests, and after surgery she was in such critical condition that we didn't dare take any blood. We just hoped that the bullet was the only problem."

"Let me guess: it wasn't."

"No. The bullet was filled with a variant of fear gas. It's making her relive her worst memories."

"That explains why she keeps screaming every few minutes."

"Yes." Batman looked at the girl, shaking his head. "We're trying to find a cure. Until then, we'll just have to wait."