Chapter 26

A FEW WEEKS LATER 

"Nova! Wait up!"

I turn and find Astra jogging down the corridor towards me.

"Yes?"

"When we graduate... I think I know where to look for the Orb first."

"And where is that?"

"Your village."

"M-My village? No. I don't think you want to see that."

"Nova, the orb might be there! You can't take the chance to not look in the village. There is quite a large possibility that it is there."

"Fine. We'll look there. But on one condition."

"Name it."

Nova takes a deep breath.

"Once we get there... We... We bury any human remains that we find. I can't leave them like that. Their bones lying on the ground. No one left to bury them. I know I wouldn't want that. My- My sister- if she had survived- she wouldn't have left them like that."

Astra nods. 

"I promise, Nova, that's the first thing we'll do when we get there."

Nova nods in approval. Then continues walking down the corridor and into the dorms. 

She slowly walks across her room and over to her phoenix's cage.

"Oh, Shula... What am I to do? What am I going to do when I go back. I can't... Won't... cry in front of them. I know that I have to be strong... but I just don't know how I'll be able to."

The white phoenix tilts her head to the side and gives a soft song like chirp.

"You're right... no use worrying about it now. I mean I still have a few years until we graduate. Hopefully that will give me time to prepare." Nova checked the clock on the wall. "Oh crap! I better hurry or else I'll be late to dinner! Bye, Shula! You are welcome to hunt for your dinner or there is some good under one of their pillows!"

And with that she was out the door and flying down the halls.

That is until she ran into something and fell back.

"You know... You have a habit of not watch where you're going."