Chapter 3

NOva felt like every blood vessel in her body was bursting. Every bone was broken. Everything was accompanied by the feeling of pain. The vile man just watched as the small girl writhed and screamed on the ground. He let the spell go on a few seconds longer before he released the girl from the spell.

" Where is the Orb?" The man tried again. Nova panted from her spot on the ground and glared as she met his eyes.

"I told you. I don't know!" She cried as her eyes started watering. The man prepared to spout another curse. Nova winced and closed her eyes. Preparing for the blinding pain that was to come. Only, it didn't.

"Stop!" A familiar- but strained- voice shouted. Nova looked over and there stood Aquaria. She was very much alive with the exception of various cuts and bruises already starting to form. Her eyes were glowing a bright violet as she walked. The man backed up a step, eyes wide. "Don't touch her."

The man held a shaking hand up and aimed his wand as Aquaria lunged. She launched from her spot and tackled the man as he tried to fire off a spell. They wrestled for a moment on the ground before Aquaria yelled, "Run, Nova! You must survive!"

"I can't leave you!" Nova cried as she struggled to move. She could only watch as the man got the better of her sister and now Aquaria was being pinned down, her eyes wild as she struggled.

"Now, Nova." She yelled with her stern voice and with one last burst of strength she managed to overtake the man and cut off his airway. She glanced over her shoulder at Nova. Her gaze was firm and Nova was vaguely reminded of all the times she had seen that look before. The glare she was given meant she had better listen. So Nova did just that. As she stood to run again, the man succeeded in lifting his wand and firing a green spell at Aquaria. The spell hit the teenager and she dropped.

Nova looked down in horror as her sister was still. There was no sign of life at all and as she listened, she could hear no heart beat. Tears streamed down her face as she felt a power start to course through her veins. Nova tried to regulate her breathing, but failed.

Around the corner, Nova could hear the man's comrades coming and decided to finally take the precious moments Aquaria had given her. 

She ran straight into the forest. Leaving the only place she called home and into the great unknown. As she ran she thought about all the others she was leaving behind. Aquaria, her father, Orion, and Arie. All were gone. Wiped off the face of the Earth, never to be seen again. No one besides her would feel their loss. No one would mourn them. They wouldn't even be given a proper burial. Tears clouded Nova's gaze as she ran with whatever will she had left through the forest. In the east, she could see the sun beginning to rise as a new day began.