II.

Bruce Banner was staring at the monitor, deep in thoughts, not noticing that Steve Rogers had entered the room. The man who was known as Captain America walked up to him to see what he was staring at.

The monitor was showing a small cell. On the floor, with his back towards the concrete wall, Loki was sitting.
"He has been there for a week", Banner stated.
"I know."
"No, I meant, he sat right there since a week. Hadn't moved a centimeter. I think..." The man never continued his sentence, because just in that moment a female figure appeared in the cell. "Who's that?", Rogers asked surprised.
"I don't know. Maybe we should inform Stark?"

While they were talking they continued watching Loki. He now lifted his hand towards the female. But as soon as he touched her, she disappeared in a dark green light.
"She was an... illusion?", the blonde man asked.
"Yeah", Banner answered, "Maybe he's bored?"
"Or lonely." Now Banner was the surprised one. "Lonely? He?"
"Well, if I was alone in a cell for a full week I'd definitely be lonely."
After a short period of silence the older one continued talking. "We should ask Thor if he wants to spend some time with him."

While the two were talking, Stark and Fury had a conversation on their own.
"Everything had been quiet lately", Fury said.
"I know. But as we both know this peace won't last forever. There'll always be bad guys we have to stop."
"Speaking of bad guys, how is our bad guy doing?", the one-eyed man asked, after taking a sip of his drink.
"I don't know. I gave Banner the task to keep an eye on him. As I know he hasn't tried to escape or anything... "
A knocking on the door interrupted them. "Come in!"
Banner and Rogers entered the room, Stark stood up and asked: "Anything happened?"
"No...", Banner replied, "Well, that's the problem. We were thinking if maybe... well..."
Fury walked to him and looked him deep in the eyes. "What is it you're trying to say?"
"We shouldn't keep him alone down there", Rogers completed his sentence.

After a few seconds Stark laughed. "This is a joke, right? Loki is our enemy, a mass murderer... And you are telling me we shouldn't leave him alone?"
"He isn't here to be punished!", Rogers replied, "He is here because he wants to change. Bruce has watched him and a few minutes ago he moved for the first time this week! You can clearly tell there's something wrong with him -"
Stark interrupted him. "Please. I know Loki. He is surely playing one of his games again."
"And what if not? What if this time - only this time - he's telling the truth? Do you want to be the one who's guilty for all the people he might kill in the future? We can change him now. And if we don't, this will surely have consequences."

Unnerving silence lied over the room. Everyone was following his own thoughts, until Stark asked: "So what is it you'd recommend? Should we get him up here and play some board games and pretend like he isn't a monster?"
"No. We should get Thor to spend some time with him."
Now Fury talked again. "This sounds like a good idea. Thor can surely defeat him but is also someone Loki may trust. Where is he?"

"I'm here", an embarrassed voice said behind them. They all turned around to see Thor standing in the door, looking at Stark like he was the Antichrist.
"I'll see what I can do."