Forty Looks Good On You

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

"Marlena..."

Marlena's eyes began to flutter open as the sound of her name grew louder. As her body began the process of waking itself up, every single memory that plagued the brunette flooded into her mind. She remembered Bruce's snap, the emotional reappearance of her abilities, the fight, the darkness...she remembered all of it. Marlena wasn't sure how long she'd been lost in the darkness, however, though as she became more aware, she found that was the least of her concern. She had loved ones to reunite with, a fiancé to see, and a little bundle of joy to ask about.

"Marlena," Wanda smiled above her as she opened her eyes. She'd seen Marlena numerous times throughout their final confrontation with Thanos, but it hadn't been the time for an emotional reunion then. "You're awake."

Marlena looked up at Wanda, and as she registered the features of her face, her hazel eyes widened, and she practically jumped up in bed. "Oh my god," she cried as she pulled Wanda into a tight hug, ignoring the aching pain in her body.

The tears fell from Wanda's eyes as well, and she hugged Marlena tightly. Almost no time at all had passed for her, but knowing the amount of time between her disappearance and reappearance spanned five years for those on Earth made her a bit more emotional than she anticipated. "You have no idea how happy I am to see you," Wanda said to her.

"I can't believe you're here," Marlena sobbed into Wanda's shoulder.

"I'm not the only one," Wanda reminded her.

Marlena pulled away and wiped her face, but the tears would not stop. For once she was crying tears of joy rather than pain, and that made her feel incredible. The happiness she felt simply from looking at Wanda's face was something she hadn't expected, but she welcomed it nonetheless. "Where are they? Where is everyone?"

"Steve's down the hall talking to the doctor, Bucky, Sam, and Mason decided to go down to the cafeteria, Pietro's in the gift shop, and Greyson and your mom—"

Marlena shook her head when Wanda mentioned both Pietro and her mother, and a sense of confusion flooded into her body. "Wait...did you just say my mom? And Pietro?"

Wanda pressed her lips together and nodded her head. "I don't know how he did it—Bruce said he shouldn't have been able to do it without 'other worldly consequences'—but I guess Tony's willpower was a lot stronger than anyone thought," she answered with a hint of sadness in her tone as she thought of Tony.

"Was?" Marlena frowned, and it only grew deeper when she realized Wanda had yet to mention her children. "What do you mean? Where's Tony, Wanda? Where are the twins?"