Chapter 2 - The Problem

Was it painful? I wouldn’t remember I was only semi-conscious.  But I remember what happened all too clearly. It’s hard to forget something like that. The only thing I didn’t remember was being taken to hospital. It’s all come back to me now though as a blur. Soon after I was hit, the ambulance arrived as a result of someone calling them who had witnessed the accident.

Then came the police. They arrested dad after him pretending to sympathise over what happened. He was put in the police car and taken away. That was the last I saw of him.

I knew I was safe and that I would be taken care of so I told the police everything.

 A few days later I had recovered and only had a few bruises and about 3 stitches. As I was lying in the hospital bed. Two tall figures towered me

“Hello I’m Chris.” The first one said.

“Hello I’m Annie.” The second one followed.

The light in the room was in such a position that the figures didn’t have faces; they were like black shadows.

I sat up and as I did so, the faces became clearer. The first figure, Chris, had a wrinkled up nose with black hair styled like Elvis Presley. The second one, Annie, was young, about 23 years old. She had long blonde hair with a kind voice

“How are you feeling?” she asked as I looked up at her.

“I’m okay” I replied confused of who they were. They weren’t wearing a uniform so they weren’t doctors but they were both wearing a badge. I could quite read what it said but it was blue and had black writing on it.

“Is time to go” Chris said.

I looked up at him.

“Where?” I asked.

“To your new house” Annie said with a smile.

“Where’s that?” I asked still confused of who they are

“Heartlock”

      *          *          *          *

I went out of the hospital and followed Chris and Annie to the car. As I got closer I could see that the badge read:

Social worker

It all made sense now. I knew I could trust them.

The car journey lasted about 30 minutes. I was sitting next to two boxes and a black bag sealed at the top with ribbon. The boxes looked full and heavy. The temptation to open it was so big. But I restricted myself.

We finally got to Heartlock and I stepped out of the car. The social workers either side of me. Chris was holding the boxes that I was sitting next to and Annie was holding the ribbon sealed bag

All of us started walking to the house but, as we got closer and closer I was feeling more and more scared. I knew there would be people inside. I wasn’t so sure if I was safe anymore.

We were almost at the door and the terror that ran through me was like standing in front of a snake just waiting for it to attack. Why did dad do this to me? I did not want to enter this house. But I had no choice.

We were there; I stopped at the huge red door with windows at the top like arches. I waiting briefly before entering as Chris opened the door. There were people waiting. Lots of them. Children varying form about 4-16. There was about 20 of them and two adults with huge smiles on their faces, but before anyone said anything, I ran upstairs. I didn’t know what room was mine so I hid in the bathroom. However I wasn’t in there long. On my own anyway. There were three knocks on the door before I heard a low voice , lower than Chris say “Megan?” at first I ignored it and thought they got my name wrong but they didn’t . My name is Megan.

I hadn’t heard my name in a long time. Dad used to refer to me as ‘you’ or ‘disease’.

Another knock came before the door slowly started to open.

“Megan?”

He came in courteously hoping that I wouldn’t lash out on him.

“Are you okay?” he asked moving closer.

“Great” I said looking down.

“Are you going to say hello to anyone?”

I didn’t say anything and just shook my head.

“They’re all really nice”.

I was sitting on the edge of the bath tub twiddling my thumbs.

“Why don’t I show you to your room” he suggested stopping about a meter away from me.

I nodded subtly not making eye contact.

We walked out the door and up the second flight of stairs.

This house was absolutely huge. doors on each side of the well decorated halls. We appeared on the right of the hall at a white door. The first of the long line of doors and signalled for me to go in.  I stepped in and headed straight for the bed where I sat down and was joined by the man.

“I’m Paul” he introduced.

“I’m Megan” I humoured.

“Some people take a while to settle in so dont worry you’ll fit in soon” he reassured me.

I looked at the door, maybe by now the crowd had gone, I might be able to run out. I was highly considering it.

Just then it happened. I turned, left, right, down the stairs, down the hall, down the stairs and out the front door.

However before I got there, a hand grabbed me.