Chapter 16 - The Office

It was midnight and Lucie told me that this was the time that the care workers go to bed so I left it a bit longer before I went out of bed, down stairs and into the office. I took a torch that was hanging in my wardrobe with me as it was pitch black. I stepped down the stairs hoping no one would hear me sneaking out. As I got to the second flight of stairs, I heard keys. It was Paul locking up. Had forgotten about the office door. Where would he put them?

I watched him and turned my torch off as the light downstairs was still on. E locked the door and took the keys with him. I followed him and he put the keys in a little key holder in the room next door to the office. It was kind of like a study but for keys?

I waited until he had gone to his room and sat on the stairs for a bit so he could go to sleep otherwise if I made a noise, he would hear me.

I wanted for about 10 minutes and thought that that was long enough to get to sleep. I walked down the last flight of stairs and wet to the room of keys. It wasn't really a room of keys, it was a room with loads of things in, including keys.

I opened it up and there were about 4 different keys I grabbed all of them really slowly without trying to rattle them and went to the office door. I put the torch underneath my arm so I had enough hands to unlock the door, after the second attempt, I had found the key, I turned it right and then left, not knowing which way the key had to go and it made a loud clicking sound. I stopped for a bit so people would just think it was a 'strange sound that usually goes on in this place'

I entered the room and got the other set of keys out of the filing cabinet with the paper in that Sam got out when she was writing useless information down.. I grabbed the keys that had many keys on and looked for the small one that would fit the filing cabinet. There were two next to each other, but they all had named on, each drawer. I saw my name and decided to open it to see what they said about me. It wasn't what I went in there to do but I just wanted to know

My file looked something like this:

Full Name: Megan Hannah Foster

Date of birth: 22.01.00

Reason for care? Dad abusing her and keeping her locked up with no food.

Well I guess they got hat bit right. Though it was the bit underneath that I wasn't sure about

Parents: Steve Harding (Father)

Jessy Muller (Mother)

I didn't have any of their surnames.

I turned over the page to see:

Adopted parents: Dave Foster (Father)

Gina Foster (Mother)

I was adopted?

And I was abused by my adopted dad? I wonder where my real family are. I need to tell someone about this. But who? I can't tell Ryan because he will wonder why I came into the office. I decided not to look at his. I wouldn't want anyone reading mine not even him. I felt really ashamed that I have adopted parents, who treated me badly. I turned the page and saw the rest:

Biological mother died at 18 whilst having child

Biological father died at 19 after biological mother dies during child birth.

So if my parents died, why didn't I go into care like Ryan did? Why did I get put up for adoption? Maybe it was because I was too young. He was 6 when he came into care because his parents died. I was 0. I dint want to continue reading. It was too much for me to handle. So I put the file back and locked the cabinet and put the keys back in the drawer. I grabbed the torch and closed the office door and locked it behind me. I then when into the room of keys and out them back in the holder. I didn't know which one went where. They are going to find out someone had been in there. I had probably messed everything up. But I didn't worry about it too much ad just out them back and went back upstairs quietly to bed. I needed some sleep, to reminisce about today but ponder about the file.