Chapter 20 - The Police Station

He was standing outside of the police car in handcuffs ready to be placed in the car. Paul had already rushed towards him with no warning. I ran after him and soon caught up.

Paul was shouting things with a sheer look of anger on his face. I couldn’t quite make out what these words were but he was screaming them towards his direction.

The police man guided Ryan into the car by holding his head so he wouldn’t bang it on the car as he got in. Paul was picking up the pace a bit as he wouldn’t get there quick enough otherwise.

The police man was well built and had really muscly arms like he had been a weight lifter before joining the police force. He had a stern look on his face that didn’t seem to go away. He walked back round the side of the car to the driver’s seat and opened the door before starting the engine.

The police car was just about to drive off before Paul practically jumped in front of it. I thought he would get arrested!

The police man got out the car quickly and went over to paul.

“what has he done?” Paul said wanting answers and looking like he would do anything to get them.

The policeman stood back realising that he was there for the boy.

“You a parent or guardian?” the man asked.

“Yes” Paul said out of breath.

“You better come with me” the policeman said going to the other side of the car and opening the door to let Paul in.

Paul signalled for me to follow which was a first for him. I had to sit in the back as there was no space in the front as Paul was sitting there. I was sitting a space from Ryan and he didn’t look at me at all, not once. He kept his head down with a look of anger and frustration like he was about to attack at any moment. I decided to keep my mouth shut.

It was weird being in a police car again. The last time I was in one was when I was taken away from dad. I didn’t know if I liked this memory or not.

The thing that was bugging me the most was what Ryan did to get in this much trouble?

I was going to ask but I have a feeling the muscly man will make it clear soon.

I found it hard to keep my mouth shut. I also found it hard to not look at Ryan. How is his leg? Does it hurt anymore?  What did he do? Will I ever see him again?

Ryan was sitting there with his wrists tied together with handcuffs trying to break free. He would yank them apart every now and again and then fail.  

About 10 minutes had passed before we arrived that the police station. I let myself out and Paul did too. However Ryan just sat there still looking down at his bonded wrists.

The man walked round to his side, opened up the door and pulled him out using his cuffs as a pulling agent. He tripped a bit but got back onto his feet. The man slammed the door shut and gestured with his head for us to follow. Paul and I didn’t say a word on the way into the police station and when we got there we had to sit in a waiting room whilst Ryan went with the other police officers that had joined to type up the records.

The police station was scary, it must be even scarier for Ryan, what did he do to come here?

Paul went over to the register and searched through all the names with his finger. He must’ve been bored. I know I was. However he stopped. It was about half way down the page when he froze there like an ice berg.

“What’s wrong Paul?” I asked him.

“Nothing” he said trying to get back to the real world.

He came and sat back next to me still as stiff as a post keeping his eye on the piece of paper with many names on.

He looked at me and I looked back at him. I could see that there was some panic in his eye but I couldn’t tell what it was. He had seen something on that piece of paper. Was it Ryan's name?  Was he going to jail?

“He’s here” Paul said worried. “Your dad”