Chapter 18 - The Silence

We stepped in the door and it was really quiet. There were no usual laughing voices. Arguing voices, no Sam screaming at us because we went out without being covered in bubble wrap. No Paul and no children.

We both looked at each other suspiciously.

“where is everyone?” Ryan asked with a hint of worry in his voice.

“how should I know?” I replied as if he was stupid to ask in the first place.

“come on” he said in a slight whisper as he stepped forward and signalled for me to follow with his finger. There was no eye contact at all.

It was silent. The only noise that could be heard was the sound of Ryan's crutches against the hardwood floor.

We went into the kitchen first, a place I had never been before. It was huge. Cupboards high and low. A double door fridge, a sink, a cooker. It was nicer than dads. Ryan was investigating the silence whilst I was looking around stroking the surfaces with my hand as if I was blind.

“Nothing” Ryan said disappointed but also scared.

“oh man up. They’re probably just upstairs” I said bored.

“everyone?” he questioned with a raised eyebrow.

I just shrugged. All I wanted to do was go and paint my room with Ryan as we played around splatting pain on each other. That sounded like fun right now.

We moved into the games room where there is usually at least one person in there constantly unless it was past 10pm or before 7am. But no, nothing. It was only 4 o’clock so it wasn’t as if people wert allowed in there.

A bit scared myself now; I asked if we could go upstairs and look. He agreed as we walked up that stairs. Ryan was in front leading the way acting strong but actually scared. We got up the first flight of stairs and knocked on every door on the first floor. No one, not even Lucie. We went to the second floor and nothing. Finally we went to the third floor. Katie’s floor. She was always in her room apart from when she gets food and about 10 minutes after when she would socialise. But no one was to be seen

“what now?” Ryan asked.

“we could go to the office and call Pauls mobile?”

“I dot know his number” Ryan replied

“its probably in the office somewhere”

“we can try”

We went to the office and Ryan went to open the door but it was locked.

“great!” Ryan said sarcastically.

“don’t worry, I’ve got this” I went in to the room of keys and grabbed they key, just like I did when I looked at the files. Adopted? Me? Adopted?

I took the key and turned the lock not caring about how much noise it made and entered.

“how did you know how to do that?”

“long story” I said as I looked around for a number.

“look our files” he said pointing to them, sounding like he’s seen them before

“yeah” I said as I knew. Just then I realised that I sounded like I’ve looked “I mean oh yeah, let’s look” to be honest I wanted to read more about the shit they put about me.

“we can’t” he said as he looked don

“why not”

“were not allowed”

“since when did you turn into this good boy, I thought you were the bad boy around here?”

“yeah” Ryan said as he hopped out the room and out the front door

I waited about a minute thinking about why he ran out and then I ran after him

I regretted waiting so long because I gave him a head start and he could have gone left or right.

Right is the way to our treehouse. Would he have gone there?

That was the first place I tries. I ran there as fast as I could as I was quite familiar with it now. I just wanted to find him and make sure that he’s alright. However when I got there, he wasn’t there.

I didn’t even have to get up the tree. I knew that he wouldn’t be able to get up there, but I wanted to find him so I tried it any way just in case he found a way.

I ran back to the house and ran left this time. I had never been this way before and I don’t know this town very well so I had no idea where I was going or whether I could get back but I just ran

I had been running for about 3 miles wondering where all the stamina was coming from when I found something. Something that worried me. Something that hurt my heart.

His crutches.