Twenty Two

I watched from the back door as Gabe and Michael tumbled around on the grass in their wolf forms, chasing each other around happily. Things were still tense between Michael and I, but I wasn't going to let that stop me from enjoying the time I spent with my brothers. I felt terrible for how much I had missed out in, no matter how many times Gabriel assured me that it was alright. I was envious of his optimism. Of his ability to just simply let the past be. Things I'd never been capable of doing. I couldn't let go of what happened. My opinion could change, but I would never forget. And perhaps, this was my problem.

"Don't think so hard, Cassiel."

I smiled to myself as I glanced over my shoulder at Dorian. "And why not?"

"Nothing good comes from it." He answered. "Why do you think Tiberius lost his faith in me? He thought too deeply about what had happened between us."

"Can you blame him?" He chuckled. "I don't quite understand it myself."

Dorian looked at me curiously for a moment. "I don't envy you, Cassiel."

My brows scrunched in confusion as I turned towards the vampire. "Excuse me?"

"I didn't mean that as an insult, I swear." He smiled the same smile that reminded me of Tiberius. "I am incredibly proud of you and your brothers. I also find you to be quite brave. I just do not wish to be in your shoes."

"Neither do I." I sighed heavily, turning back to watch my brothers.

"Can I confide you in for a moment?"

"Sure."

"I wasn't exactly truthful with you when we first met."

"Elaborate on that for me."

"I wanted to keep Gabriel to protect him from other monsters who would wish to harm him." He moved to stand beside me, our eyes locking as we stared at each other. "But I was not the one who told Tiberius no."

I spun my body to face him head-on. "And what the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"I was not the one responsible for telling your witch that he could stick it to his mother."

I searched Dorian's eyes, looking for something, anything, that would give him away. I found nothing. "Then who did?"

"My b-"

Dorian was cut off as screams erupted from within his home. He snarled at the noise as both of my brothers appeared by my side; Gabriel's light-grey muzzle nudged my hand. We jumped back as Dorian's nestmates spilled from the doors and smashed their way through windows. Rebekah slammed into Dorian's eyes, her face revealing an emotion other than boredom for the first time since she'd opened the front door to greet us. Fear.

"What's wrong?" Dorian asked firmly as he held her shoulders to steady her.

"It's Marcus." She breathed. "He's ordered his vamps to attack the nest." Her face crumpled as she spoke her next words. "They took Madeline."

"Get the newborns out of here." He ordered. "Everyone else fights. I'll be damned if he gets his hands on these wolves."

Rebekah nodded her head furiously, speeding off to deliver the instructions.

"You two need to shift back and get your brother out of here," Dorian growled. "If Marcus sees him, he's dead."

Michael snarled, using his muzzle to nudge me away from the house and towards the pile they had made with their clothes. I reached up when we made it to the tree, they had shifted next to, ripping off the closest branch. Michael and Gabe were vulnerable during a shift and I wasn't ready to lose them so soon. Vampires I didn't recognise began to filter out of the house, chasing down those I did. Dorian, Rebekah and a few vampires whose names I hadn't yet learned defended their nestmates, allowing them to disappear into the forest a few miles away. Gabriel appeared next to me, his claws extended, and fangs bared as he raced towards Dorian, launching himself at a vampire preparing to stake Rebekah.

Michael whimpered behind me and I spun around, my eyes widening as I stared up at the mountain of a man behind me. He held Michael's wolf by the scruff of his neck in hands that were bigger than my head. His arms and legs were as thick as tree trunks and a torso that you could play beer pong on. The giant glared down at me, reaching out to pick me up. I growled at him, his eyes bulging in surprise as I lunged forward, shoving the tree branch deep into his chest. He dropped my brother as he began to convulse, his skin turning a clammy grey. Michael dove towards his jeans and shifted, pulling them on as he did so.

"You fucking killed him!" He exclaimed.

"You're welcome." I spat.

Michael opened his mouth to retort but was cut off.

"Cas!"

I spun around just in time to watch as a fist collided with my face, sending me crashing down into the soft grass. Everything was drowned out by a loud ringing in my ears, my vision locked on Gabriel and Dorian as they raced towards the woman standing over me. Gabriel and Michael took her down as Dorian dropped down in front of me. He wasn't paying attention to the tall figure behind him whose face I could barely make out. I heard Gabriel's muffled scream and tried to turn my head, struggling to lift it.

The figure grew closer until I could make out his face, my breath catching in my throat. He was a spitting image of the man knelt in front of me. I finally understood what Dorian meant. It wasn't him. It was the man behind him. I opened my mouth to warn Dorian, but I couldn't piece the words together. Dorian watched as I tried to speak, his own words muffled by the ringing. My frustration grew as he moved closer, Dorian still talking to me, failing to keep me still.

"B-be-hind...you." I choked out, black spots surfacing in my vision.

Dorian's brows furrowed as he spun around, anger appearing on what I could see of his face. He stood abruptly, sneering at the man before him. The doppelgänger smiled saying something to Dorian which angered him further. Dorian balled up his fist to throw a punch, but the man beat him to it, wrapping his hands around Dorian's neck. My body shook with fear as Dorian's head was ripped from his shoulders. I screwed my eyes shut as I felt Dorian's blood spatter across my face, feeling a distinct thump somewhere near my own head. My mind finally caved, unable to handle what I'd just seen, tossing me into the darkness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, gals and fridges!

I'll be updating tomorrow like usual so I'll do a proper a/n then.

Thanks for reading, voting and commenting! It means a lot.

Thanks for wasting your time on me!

~Daxton🌈