Twenty Three

I groaned in pain as a frantic muffle slowly grew in volume. The light in the room burned my eyes despite them being closed, a dull ache spreading throughout the right-side of my face. I pried my eyes open at a snail's pace, screwing them shut as the light seared my retinas. The frantic muffle soon became a voice, filled with distress and fear.

I was struggling to piece the words together, unable to make sense of them as I forced my eyes open, my brothers coming into view. Michael was stood next to the window in Gabriel's room, gazing out over the yard, an orange glow flickering across his face. Gabriel sat on the couch across the room, his hands over his eyes as his mouth moved frantically.

"-Just sit here and do nothing!"

"That's all we can do." My big brother shot back. "We've tried breaking the door down, we can't even smash the windows."

Gabriel shot up from the couch, getting in Michael's face. "They're the only family I've ever had since I was five-years-old!"

"If family is so important to you, then why the fuck are you stuck in here with me!"

"Because I have a little brother who's becoming something he doesn't understand!" Gabriel screamed back. "He needs people like him!"

"Cas has a whole pack of wolves who care about him! He doesn't need us!"

"We're not like other wolves!" He spat. "What makes you think he will be?"

"Stop it." I croaked.

The shouting continued as I struggled to push myself off of the bed, my body protesting every movement. I groaned again as I finally managed to sit up, the noise going unnoticed by my brothers. Sliding off the bed, I stumbled towards the two, my head thumping as I walked. I stopped a few feet from them, scrunching my face up as a slight ringing invaded my ears. Gabriel snarled and moved to launch himself at Michael. I shook my head and sped towards my oldest brother, knocking out of the way as Gabriel collided with my side. We tumbled to the floor, Gabriel crushing me beneath him, the ache in my face returning full force.

"Cas!" Gabriel exclaimed. "I'm sorry! I didn't even know you were there!"

Gabriel scrambled to his feet, quickly reaching down to pull me up. "Are you alright?"

I chuckled softly, clutching the side of my face. "I'm okay, you only squashed me a little."

Relief flooded Gabe's face, his scowl returning only a moment later as he turned to face our brother. "How could you not believe he needs us?"

"Because he just doesn't. He's been okay on his own."

"No, I haven't," I whispered.

Gabriel turned back to face me, Michael's face scrunching in confusion, his lips parting. "But you told me you were?"

"I lied." I shrugged. "I haven't been okay for a long time."

"Why didn't you say anything when we spoke?" Gabriel asked gently.

"I didn't want to worry people any more than I already do." I elaborated. "I've put my surrogate parent's sanity through the wringer, my friends constantly ask if I'm okay or need anything." I choked out a sob, struggling to force out my next words. "I killed someone today. Regardless of what they'd done, I still took a life which makes me just as bad, if not worse."

"No, it doesn't, Cas," Gabe whispered, pulling me into his arms. "You did it to protect innocent people. Good people."

"It doesn't matter." I sobbed, my emotions dragging me down further as I drowned in guilt. "Dorian's dead and I know what that orange light is. That psycho is setting your family on fire!"

"And we'll rip his fucking head off for it!" Gabe growled, his grip on me tightening. "I love them all, but they weren't my only family and they're not the only ones hurting. Most of them made it out, I've been watching. Rebekah and Peter made it, as well as most of the newborns. We'll all be okay, I promise."

I nodded my head against Gabe's shoulder, tightening my hold on the back of his shirt. My eyes caught on Michael's as he watched us. An emotion I couldn't name swirled in his eyes. We'd be okay. I repeated this in my head several times, a new sense of determination rising within me. We were going to be alright; we were going to be safe. And once we were safe, I was going to fix this. I was going to fix all of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, gals and fridges!

There's only 4 more chapters left before this book is complete and I'm starting on the next one! I'm honestly so excited because I have so many ideas and I'm having fun messing around with them!

Anyways, thanks so much for 375 reads and 62 votes! It means so much!

Thanks for wasting your time on me!

~Daxton🌈