happy | shonnon

the sun was bright, the air cool and pleasing. hinata stood under the shade, bouncing on the balls of his feet, waiting for shanz. she had told him she wanted to meet to discuss something really important.

his eyes caught sight of shanz, finally making her way over. though, there was no sign of a smile, and a heavy aura was carried along with her.

"shanz!" he exclaimed happily, running over to her, like how an affable dog runs to its owner, pulling her into a hug.

"hey shouyou," she said, hugging him back, a little slower than she usually would, which hinata noticed, "thanks for coming."

"so," he said lightly as they pulled away, "what's up? what did you want to talk to me about?"

shanz bit her lower lip, unsure of how to phrase what she was about to say, but still said, "i've noticed you've been busy with volleyball, especially now since you want to switch to beach volleyball, and i know you want to put all your dedication into it."

he nodded.

"i've come to realise that this isn't working out," she said slowly.

"what is?"

"us," she pointed at the both of them, "our relationship."

"it... isn't?" he cocked his head to one side.

she nodded, "there was simply no time for me, or us, i suppose, and i guess the best way to solve this is to end it. i'm sorry, but we should break up."

hinata's eyes snapped open to two things: his alarm, and his nightmare. he pressed the button to let his alarm snooze, and ran a hand through his hand. it was then he realised that that was a nightmare. the same recurring nightmare.

he got out of bed, ready for his morning meditation. living in a foreign country alone and to fend for himself was all daunting.

coming to brazil at the mere age of nineteen, fresh out of high school, was a choice that was sort of made willingly. in his second year, he wanted to do beach volleyball, and asked coach washijo for advice.

the answer? someone he knew in brazil.

hinata was willing to do it. move to brazil. to start beach volleyball and to move far away from someone. someone who had once held a place in his heart.

+

"pedro, acoruda!" hinata said as he peered into his roommate's room, "hora de aura, voce atorazara!"

[ trans: pedro, wake up! class time, you'll be late! ]

despite not being completely fluent in japanese, hinata worked hard and ensured that he knew conversational protuguese. it had been a year since he started living there, and his portuguese studies were paying off. he had a job, could converse, and made friends.

presently, his roommate was not responding to him.

"um, toma café?" he added, hoping it would manage to motivate pedro, his housemate, a bit.

[ trans: eat breakfast? ]

"nâo..." pedro murmured, further hugging his pikachu stuffed toy, obviously refusing to budge.