Chapter Nineteen

Georgie's Point of View

I haven't seen Stone in a week, so I decide to drive over to his house. The summer is almost over and I don't want to leave for school on a bad note with him. He's my best friend, but I would also understand if he never wants to talk to me again.

I park my car, and as soon as I get out I hear Stone banging away on his drum set. I walk in the side door, that leads into the garage. I stand in front of the drum set, until finally he notices me. He looks up at me, shocked. "Georgia," he says laying down his sticks, and standing up. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you," I tell him.

"You shouldn't be here," he says, walking over to me.

I feel deflated, but I understand. Of course he still doesn't want to see me. I broke his heart. I hear footsteps coming toward the garage. "Stone!" A man calls from inside.

"Shit, hide please," he says. I look at him confused. "Georgia now please," be begs. I nod my head, and hide behind an old dresser just as the door opens.

"Yes dad," Stone says.

"I need you out of the house tonight," Stone's dad barks. I can smell the liquor from my hiding place. "I have people coming over, and I don't need you here bothering me." What an asshole.

"Yeah sure whatever," Stone replies.

"Are you still hanging around that red headed girl?" His father asks. "Georgina?"

"No," Stone replies and my heart sinks. I guess he really has made up his mind about me. I can't blame him though.

"Such a shame. She had some nice tits," his dad replies, and I want to vomit.

"I told you not to say shit like that about her," Stone snaps.

"And I told you to watch your fucking mouth when you talk to me boy!" His father bellows. "Get the fuck out of my house!" His father slams the door, and I hear his footsteps inside. I come out of my hiding place, and Stone gives me his infamous grin.

"He seems lovely," I say.

"The best," he replies.

"So, um I guess this is goodbye," I say, and he laughs. Now I'm irritated. "Why are you laughing?" I snap.

"I lied to him, he's not a good guy, and I don't want him anywhere near you," he says.

"Oh," I say, making him laugh. "Stop," I say, but my laughter gives me away.

"I do need to tell you, that I'm in love with you. Hopelessly in love with you, and I don't know if I'll ever be able to not be in love with you. You're the only girl that has ever made me feel like I could really be happy, that I could want a serious relationship. And if that makes you or Joey uncomfortable, I get it. But, I still want to be your friend, so I hope you will still have me," he tells me.

"Stone, it's not about whether we're uncomfortable, it's about you. With all of that being said, are you going to be okay being around us?" I ask

"I'll be fine. I promise," he assures me.

"Only if you're sure," I tell him.

"I am," he tells me. My phone begins to ring, and I see Joey's name flash across he screen. "You can answer it."

"Hey," I answer.

"Georgie are you with Stone?" He asks me.

"Yeah?" I say, confused.

"Well I need both of you to meet me at Wendy's house. My father's back," he says.

"What?" I say.

"Just please," he says.

"Okay," I tell him, and hang up. Stone raises his eyebrow at me. "That was Joey. He said his dad's back."

Stone's eyes go wide. "We gotta go Georgette," he says, taking me by the hand and leading me out of the garage.

We stop at my car, and I finally catch my breath. "How bad is he?" I ask, still a little out of breath.

"He's probably my dad's company tonight," Stone tells me. I don't know if he was just to lost in thought to answer the question, or if that's the answer, but either way I don't like it.

"Just meet me at Joey's," I tell Stone and get in my car.

I try to keep up with Stone on the way there, but he's driving his van like he stole it. I pull into Joey's driveway a few minutes after Stone does. I get out of the car and Joey pulls me into a tight hug. "I don't know why he's back," he mumbles into the crook of my neck.

I hold him close to me. "I'm sorry," I whisper. Joey pulls away and I look between the two boys. "Can someone tell me what's going on?"

"Our fathers are criminals. Bad ones. They use to have a drug business together," Stone explains.

"But then my father was arrested, and he's been in prison since I was seven, but he's free now," Joey explains.

"So you think they're going to start their drug business again?" I ask.

"Maybe something worse," Joey replies.

"Why?" I ask.

"Nothing good is going to come of them being back in business together," Stone says.

"Before my father was arrested, they basically ran the town. They had everyone in their pocket. It was such a corrupt place, and it had been for year, until Commissioner Carlson was elected and cleaned up the town," Joey tells me.

"Wow," I say. "I had no idea."

"Yeah, I think we need to get everyone together. Tell them what's going on," Stone says.

"That sounds good. You guys go pick up Andy and Tommy, and I'll text Carmen and Eileen to meet us at Wendy's house," I say.

"Tell Eileen to ask AJ to bring along her brothers. The more people that know, the better," Stone says.

I nod my head and climb into my car. I text the girls and start the drive over to my brother's place. This is insane. I had no idea, about either of their fathers being these big monster type drug lords. I feel like we should be going to the police, and telling them our suspicions. But we have no evidence that they're even doing anything illegal yet. And, with them being as bad as Stone and Joey told me they were, wouldn't he police already be on the lookout for them?

I sigh and pull into the driveway. I'm telling them my thoughts as soon as they get here. I was hoping the last month of summer would be stress free, but I should have known better than that.