CHAPTER 23: SMALL TALK

DAY 6, 1:00 P.M

Charlie and Yennifer went together to find Adrian. There was a huge awkward silence between the two of them as they ran through the streets. They ran for nearly 5 minutes until they got winded. Yennifer spotted a nearby parking lot and they checked each and every car for people inside.

"Hey, Charlie. Can we stop here for a bit?" said Yennifer inside an RV.

"Yeah sure." replied Adrian, heading inside the RV.

It was just standard size that could probably fit only 2 people inside to live in. There were 2 beds in the back arranged like a bunk bed. A sink and stove were lined around the sides and a mini fridge to top the whole RV off. Yennifer laid down on the top bunk and started muttering to herself quietly.

"What are you thinking about?" asked Charlie, laying down as well on the bottom bunk.

"Nothing much really." she replied.

"Oh yeah-then what were you muttering about?"

"Its nothing haha." she giggled.

Charlie lightly pokes on the mattress above him.

"Hey, stop that. Cut it out." she laughed as she avoids the pokes appearing on the mattress.

"Then tell me. What is it?" asked Charlie, poking faster and faster.

"I'm serious, cut it out and I'll tell you."

"All right then. Tell me."

"Well-I was just thinking what the future may hold for us now." she said as lies down again.

"What do you mean?"

"This-these-What do I even call them? Happenings? Events? What are we even experiencing?"

Charlie let it sink in. He never really thought about what was happening and how crazy this all was.

"I have no idea either. It was the heat of the moment I guess? Wrong places at the wrong time."

"If we weren't there back at the school, where would we be?"

"Back at our homes. I would be watching TV right now, not giving a serious damn about anything really."

"Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah-what is it?"

"I wouldn't really want to go back home right now."

"Why is that?"

"My dad just came back last week from work. It has been a full year to be honest. Ever since he came back, they have been fighting. I checked on them one night and they were arguing. I heard my mom call him such unspeakable things, apparently he was cheating on her. She found out and threatened him to leave before I found out."

"Oh-that must be so horrible."

"Thats not the worst part, Charlie. The worst part is that they keep thinking I don't know. They've been acting like everything is normal. A happy little family. My life really is shit."

The silence took over for a second until Charlie peeked over.

"You know, there will always be a point in our lives where our life will be shit. Sure, it sucks but eventually there will be a point where you will feel like you are in high heaven. All it takes is time."

Charlie pokes her cheek when he finished. Yennifer let out a little giggle.

"I suppose so. When I grow up, I would really like to make a change in the world. An impact."

"So do I. Everyone wants to leave a mark in the world."

"Mhmm. I have always wanted to be a part of politics did you know that?"

"Oh really?" Charlie chuckled

"Yeah. I know it sounds a bit stupid and it may take me until I'm 40 to at least land a seat of power but I may reach there eventually."

" "May"? Of course you will."

"Really now?" Yennifer turns to face Charlie. "What would you want to do?"

"To be honest, I dont know. Whatever peaks my interest, I guess."

"I'm guessing something already peaked your interest?" Yennifer said with a smile.

"Yeah-maybe so." replied Charlie as he pokes her cheek once more.

A gunshot then went off somewhere.

"What the hell was that?" asked Yennifer.

"I don't know, let's check it out."

Both of them left the RV. They headed towards the sound of the gunshot as more was heard. They reached a drug store and as they went in, they saw two dead bodies.

Yennifer jumped back in shock as Charlie approached the one over the counter.

"Gunshot, we're here. Message the others to be wary."

Yennifer pulled out her phone and messaged each of them. As they were about to exit the drug store, a huge red light came from an alleyway. Charlie checked it out and saw a large man holding a bottle of alcohol. Flames lined the brick walls beside him as he was walking through the alley. Charlie heard ramblings from him.

"HEEEY!! WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING!!?!" shouted Charlie.

Yennifer appeared beside him as the drunk turned around and faced them. He continued drinking down the bottle and walking towards them.

"Yennifer, this guy is bad news. Hide for now. Contact the others."

Yennifer nodded and ran inside the drug store.

Charlie grabbed a metal pipe that was a few feet from him. He held it tightly, ready to defend himself. He was about to charge until a huge torrent of flames came rushing towards him. Out of instinct, he rolled and dropped to the floor. He tried to stand up and try again until another wave nearly hit him. He backed away ever so slightly as the drunk slowly approached him.

Shit- what the fuck is with this guy. I can't get near him.

-----------------------------------------------------------
YENNIFER

She hid behind one of the aisles in the store as she pulls out her phone. She tries to call every one of them but none of them pick up.

Come on guys, where are you all? Shit-pick up damn it.

Suddenly a man appeared, standing in front of her. He was holding her at gunpoint.

"What the hell are you doing here? I should ask both of you, you know." asked Adrian, who turned the safety off.

"Looking for you. Oh and by the way, if you kill me, you're dead meat."

"I know-which is why, I propose a truce."

"I would have to agree. What's with your friend out there?"

A huge torrent of flames appeared outside.

"He isn't my friend. I have no idea what the fuck that is. All I know is he is out to kill me."

"Well that settles it. I'm going to need your help."

"On what?"

"I may have a plan."