02. Hey dad

Steve sat on the bench with Nat. "How are you feeling?" Nat said. Steve ran his hand through his hair.

"Like shit. What if she's right. The kids are happy. He obviously loves her, he looked at me straight and defended her. He knew about me and made no attempt to contact me. She's right! What kind of a life would they live with me and a Buck?" Nat sighed.

"Maybe. But she was wrong to keep it a secret. He's your son too." Steve nodded but said nothing more. They waited in silence.

Caden approached not sure how to address his dad. Eventually he decided on, "Hey dad." Steve looked up quickly. He looked around for Iris but she wasnt there. "Mom's with Jamie, she's having a nap." He explained. Nat went to leave, but Steve pulled her back down. She stayed looking awkwardly away.

"You came to talk to me?" Steve croaked out. Caden nodded.

"I thought I should." He answered bluntly. "Mom was a bit upset and this seemed the best way to keep everyone happy." He said sitting in the grass. His nose still covered in dried blood. "We're coming up to New York for a week. So Bucky can see Jamie." He continued. Steve smiled weakly. He had his mothers confidence that was for sure.

A silence fell over them. "You get into fights often?" Steve said eventually. Caden shrugged.

"The older boys pick on the smaller weaker ones, I cant stand there and do nothing." Steve nodded.

"I appreciate that. I used to be one of the weak ones when I was your age." Caden nodded.

"Mom said. She used to have fight for you." Steve nodded.

"She told you all about me then?" Caden picked at the grass beneath him.

"Yes." Another pause. "I know your wondering why I never contacted you." He didnt meet Steve's eyes. "Its because you broke Mom. She loved you once, and you chose Peggy." Steve winced. "She used to cry every time she mentioned your name for years. Then she got over it when I was about seven. Seven years she mourned you. Mom was my rock. The only one there for me. I love her so much, and I hate the fact that you hurt her a lot. And i never wanted to be in the news or ever have to be scared of losing her again."

Steve said nothing. Nat bit her lip. "But you still came to speak to him." She said softly. Caden nodded.

"Like I said. I felt like I should. And part of me wants to give you a chance. I know Mom was wrong not to tell you anything. You are my Dad after all." He said quietly. Steve didn't know how to respond.

"When are you coming to New York?" He said eventually.

"Tomorrow after my fight. I do martial arts. I got my belt match tomorrow." Steve smiled proudly. Caden stood up. "If your serious about sticking around, come. Twelve O'clock. That building over there." Caden said with a grin. "I'm fighting Tom. Mom said I could beat his ass blindfolded." He smiled and ran off back In the direction he'd came.

"Language." Steve muttered under his breath. Nat squeezed his arm.

"It could have gone worse." Steve nodded. "But...what happened between her and you and Peggy?" Steve sighed rubbing his head.

"She liked me before I was Captain America. I didnt know how to act, everyone used to go for Bucky not me. After the serum we.... made love. Then I...i left her because i was going on missions, didnt want her to get hurt. I fell for Peggy while I was away. I sent her a letter but I dont think she ever got it. We met up later and she got mad. I didnt know about the baby. She'd been waiting and waiting. Then I left on that plane. Bucky told me she was there, as I confessed to Peggy."