28: The adoption

Bucky was there when she sat up panting for the fifth time that week. He shifted around on the bed to pull her close to him. "Your okay doll." He soothed. She sat up pushing the sticky covers from her legs. Most of the wounds had healed now. She glanced at Morgan's cot. "Can you believe she'll be one soon?" Bucky said resting his head on her shoulder.

"Hard to isnt it?" She said with a soft smile. "She looks just like him...where is Tony?" Bucky shrugged.

"Doing work I imagine. That man never stops." Iris stood up with another smile in her daughters direction.

"What about Steve?" Bucky looked down at the floor. "Coffee?" Bucky nodded as they made their way upstairs. It had been fairly quiet since she'd returned from Loki's imprisonment. The months it had taken for the various physical wounds to heal was nothing to the effects it had on her head. "So? What happened?" Iris asked sipping the black liquid.

Bucky lent back against the counter, his arm twitched a little. "I may have suggested something that freaked him out." Iris rasied her eyes but let him continue without interruption. "I love Jamie, and Caden with all my heart. Even Morgan and Kira, but I want that baby stage for myself you know? Caden's was overshadowed by Hydra I didnt see Jamie's. I just I see you with them, how happy it makes you. I want that Ris." Iris smiled.

"You'll make a great dad, not that your not already. But you know what I mean." He smiled at her sadly. "Steve didnt want it?" Bucky shrugged.

"I dont think it's that, it took him and Caden so long to figure out their relationship he's scared it wont work out." Iris nodded, taking another sip.

"He'll come round, he loves Morgan. He just needs time to think that's all." Bucky sighed.

"Mrs Holloway-Stark, your son is screaming." Iris put the cup down quickly whispering an apology to Bucky and running to her son's aid. Jamie was already there standing by his bed.

"Its okay Ca!" She said desperately trying to soothe his cries. Iris touched his face, her eyes searching his, they weren't black.

"Breathe baby. I know their scary but their not real okay? Nightmares aren't real nothing can hurt you now." He pressed his face into her shirt. She rubbed his back. Jamie climbed up joining their hug.

"I'm sorry." He sobbed. Iris shook her head kissing them both.

"You have nothing to be sorry for." She muttered. Caden wiped his eyes hugging his sister from the side. "You too teird?" They both shook their heads. "Wanna watch a movie? I'll let you pick?" Caden giggled weakly.

"Good otherwise it'll just be die hard again." Iris mocked her hurt. "Its only cause your in love with Bruce Willis." Iris smirked and pulled them up and into the living room.

~~~

Steve slowly shook her awake. "Iris." He hissed, she opened her eyes careful not to the wake the children. She untangled herself to stand up.

"What time is it?" She grumbled rubbing her eyes.

"Half four."

"Steve!" She scolded in a whisper. "What is it?" He rubbed the back of his neck.

"I needed some help," Iris's face softened. "I have a surprise for Bucky and I wondered if you'd help me pick it up." Iris nodded, she ran to her bedroom pulling Steve with her, she changed the shirt and put on some shorts. Tony was asleep in the bed, she kissed his head quickly before leaving with Steve.

"So what is it?" She asked twirling her hair into a bun as they walked towards the car.

"That'll ruin the surprise." Steve said with a smirk opening the door for her. She smiled back as she climbed in. He started the engine and started driving.