Chapter Twenty Four

The next morning all of the gladers were up early. Most of us didn't sleep at all. We were standing in front of the doors waiting for them to open. We were all hoping for a miracle. I think we all needed a miracle. The doors began to open. We all strained to see threw the stone's widening gap. We waited till it was completely open. No one was on the other side.

I stayed with Chuck and Newt as the rest of the gladers slowly walked away. Chuck was hopeful and eager which made me want to wait with him. Newt looked exhausted and broken. Just as Newt turned his back to walk away I saw those three ridiculous boys coming around the corner. Minho and Thomas had Alby's arms over their shoulders as they carried him.

"Holy klunk!" I shouted in surprise and happiness.

Chuck jumped for joy wrapping his arms around me in a tight hug. Newt grabbed my shoulders to steady himself as he peered over me to watch our little miracle unfold before us. Instantly all the other gladers were surrounding us. As they reached the threshold of the Glade a few other boys helped them lower Alby to the ground. Thomas fell to his knees panting. Minho dropped to one knee to do the same.

"You saw a griever?" Chuck asked them in amazement.

"Yea, I saw one." Thomas breathed out.

"He didn't just see it. He killed it." Minho said matter of factly.

We all just stared at Thomas. He killed a griever? How is that even possible? Who is this guy? The Med-Jacks with a little help from a few others took Alby to their hut. We knew he'd been stung and there was nothing we could do but this was our leader. We had to try something. Anything.

Most of the gladers went back to work. Some went to help Clint and Jeff with Alby. Gally was so heated he said he needed to be alone. That left myself, Thomas, Minho, and Chuck standing in a small circle.

"You really killed a griever?" I asked Thomas.

He nodded.

"We need to go back out there." Thomas said looking to Minho.

"Are you crazy?" Minho asked him.

"We need to look at that griever. You've never seen one up close right? Never seen a dead one? We might find something important. If you don't want to go I'll do it myself but I could really use the help." Thomas explained quickly.

There was silence for a moment as Thomas and Minho stared at each other. At the same time they both turned to me.

"Emi, would you want to go with us? We could use as many hands as possible." Minho said.

I was shocked that they would ask me. I turned around looking for Gally. He was sitting in the grass alone but staring straight at me. I turned back to the boys in front of me.

"I would love to help you but Gally would loose his mind. He's already pissed enough." I told them.

"Emi, you are your own person. Gally isn't your master." Thomas said sternly.

"I know that. I just... he's important to me. I don't want to make him so mad that it destroys our relationship." I stated.

"I've seen what you can do Emi. We could use your help out there in case something happens." Minho said resting a hand on my shoulder.

I wanted to help them. I wanted to find a way out of here but do I want to risk destroying what I have with Gally? I sighed then glanced behind me to see Gally no longer sitting in the grass.

"Fine, I'll help" I said with a nod.

"Meet me at the hut in 10 minutes." Minho told Thomas then ran off.