Chapter 34

When Asterin opened her eyes she felt light-headed and a slight pain by her right ear. She blinked a few times to adjust to the light and found herself in the hospital. She felt someone hold her hand and slowly turned her head.

   "Aelin?" But to her despair, it wasn't her. It was her dad who was looking at her with puffy eyes.

  "What are you doing here? Where is Aelin? She got hurt because of me! Because of you! Aelin! Aelin! Where is she? Where is Alex?" She screamed as she sat up.

  "Baby calm down," her dad said.

  Alex rushed inside with a doctor upon hearing the commotion. Asterin was about to pull out the IV tubes and get down the bed when Alex grabbed her shoulders and stopped her. She looked at Alex and bursted into tears.

   "Dad please go out," Alex said. Troy nodded in disappointment and he left.

   "Where is Aelin? She was bleeding in my arms. Is she okay," she asked while crying. He nodded and pulled her into his arms while she rambled, "where is she? I wanna see her. Where is my baby?" 

   Alex pulled away and held her face in his hands.

   "Baby Listen," he said wiping her tears with his thumbs.

   "Aelin is in the opposite room. She hit her head on the car and has lost a lot of blood." Asterin let out a loud sob. "No! Baby don't cry. She is okay now I promise," he said.

   "Can I see her?"

   "Yes but before that, the doctor has to check you okay."

    She placed her hand on her right ear and felt something there. She frowned and asked, "what is this?"

   "Rinny listen to me now and please don't freak out please."

   She nodded.

   "We did an operation for you and a hearing aid has been placed for your right ear. I know you didn't want it but it had to be done. I'll tell you why and everything later Now please just let the doctor check you," he signed.

   Without protesting she agreed taking Alex by surprise. A year ago Asterin would have pulled out the aids and refused to have it but now she wouldn't do that. She was pleased she got it installed and that reason was Aelin. Asterin knew that Aelin loved her for who she was and would never look down on her. She agreed because now she would be able to hear Aelin's voice and she could sing more often. Even if people may treat her as a deaf person, she didn't mind anymore. Aelin wasn't Calumn. She gave her trust and faith that her disability to hear will not chase people away.

   The doctor examined her and when he was about to test the hearing aid she stopped. 

   "Asterin please don't do-"

   "I want to see Aelin first. I want her voice to be the first thing I hear when the hearing aid is turned on."

   She looked at the doctor with puppy eyes and said, " please I love her so much. I have been wanting to hear her for so long."

   The doctor nodded.

   Alex helped her down the bed and they took her outside. She saw her mum and dad standing there. As soon as they saw her, they ran towards her. At once she turned her back on them and looked at Avery who was standing with a young couple.

   "I'm sorry," she whispered and fell into Avery's arms. She cried while Avery kept rubbing her back and saying, "it's okay, baby."

   Avery pulled away and caressed Asterin's cheeks and kissed it.