SIX

The bell rang, and I settled into my seat in AP Psych. I threw my backpack to the ground and put my computer on my desk. Hopefully, the only thing we were doing today is a project on the computer. That's what Mr. Oliver usually did, and I always depended on it for a little familiarity.

"Good morning, class," Mr. Oliver said cheerily. "Today, we are doing things a little differently. Since we are learning about the brain, I want you guys to make something. That's all I'm telling you as of right now."

Everyone in the class groaned, me included. When he made us do a project, it was always drawn out and confusing. I was also partnered with people I didn't really like, so it wasn't like I had fun. Some days, I wondered why I liked this class so much.

I watched as Mr. Oliver walked over to his desk, and my gaze landed on Brennan. He was in mid-laugh, and I nearly melted. His fair skin complemented his smile, and he had crinkles next to his eyes, signaling that he smiled a lot. His green eyes were shining with some unidentifiable joy that I wasn't aware of. I wanted to be aware of what he was so happy about.

"I will be partnering you all up, so don't get excited about picking your own partners," Mr. Oliver said. My heart started racing. What if he decided to partner Brennan and me together? I'd probably embarrass myself, which I did on a daily basis. A kid on the other side of the classroom raised his hand, and Mr. Oliver said, "Yes, Konnor?"

"What are we supposed to be making?"

"I'm going to be partnering you all first before explaining what you have to do." Mr. Oliver grinned at Konnor and said, "Let me take attendance, and I'll split you all up. You all know the drill. I shouldn't have to explain myself. I take attendance, partner you all up, and not allow guys to use your notes."

Of course he wouldn't explain what we were doing. I wasn't able to study before he made us do the project without our notes. I placed my computer on the floor since I probably wouldn't be able to use it. Leaning back in my chair, I let out a quiet sigh. I hardly had any friends in this class, and I doubted Mr. Oliver would put friends together, anyway.

I fidgeted with my skirt when Mr. Oliver stood up with his clipboard of the class roster. I hated doing group projects because no one I was partnered with ever did the work. I always ended up doing all of the work, which just ruined projects for me. Mr. Oliver started naming off my classmates' names. No one got up yet to move to their partners. My ears piqued when I heard him say Brennan's name. "Brennan, you will be with Luna."

My heart stopped when Brennan glanced over at me. He gave me a short smile, and I smiled back hesitantly. Soon enough, Mr. Oliver was done partnering everyone up, so I slowly headed over to Brennan. My heart picked up its pace the closer I got to him. "Hey, Luna."

"Hi, Brennan," I said, sitting down at the desk in front of him. He actually knew my name! "What do you think we're doing?"

"I have no clue."

"Great," I said, laughing. "Not even the smartest guy in the class knows what we're doing. I'm screwed."

"You think I'm the smartest guy in the class?" Brennan asked, frowning. I nodded hesitantly, and his frown broke into a smile. "That's awesome. I'm never the smartest of a class."

"Do you really like psychology?"

"Yeah. What about you?"

"I love it," I said, grinning. "I want to be a psychologist when I go to college."

"Same!" Brennan said, and my heart soared. Maybe if we dated after graduating, we could work together as psychologists. "I didn't know we had things in common."