TWENTY FOUR

My favorite day was here, and I hardly had any homework to do. I looked outside and grinned. Since it was Saturday, many people were all over the campus, doing whatever their hearts desired. What my heart desired was a nice and tall coffee and then a walk through my secret garden. Nothing would stop me nor would anyone join me.

I took a quick shower and got dressed in a blue cottony dress. Deciding to dress up a little, I painted my face with some makeup. I didn't do anything with my short blonde hair, though. Sliding my sandals on, I was nearly out of the door when Charlotte said, "Where are you going dressed up like that?"

I turned around and shook my head. "Nowhere."

"You liar," Charlotte said, laughing. Her eyes grew mischievous. "Is Miss Luna going on a date?"

Sputtering out a laugh, I said, "No. I'm treating myself today."

"Ooh, are you getting some coffee? Because I want some."

"How do you know what I'm doing?" I asked, sighing. "I just wanted some me time."

"How about changing it to Charlotte and me time?"

"Will you pay for the coffee?"

"Sure."

"Deal." She grinned at me, and I said, "You better get dressed if you want to go."

Charlotte looked down at herself. She was dressed in some sweatpants and a sleep shirt. Her hair was thrown up into a messy bun, and glasses that she hardly ever wore were perched on her nose. "I guess you're right. Should I dress up too?"

"I don't care," I said, sitting down on the edge of my bed. "You do you, boo."

"Okay, you are right. That is weird." I watched Charlotte as she searched in our shared closet for something to wear. She pulled out a black band tee and said, "Get me some jeans."

"Yes ma'am." I got up and walked over to the dresser. I opened one of the many overfilled drawers and grabbed the first pair I saw. They were light colored and had a couple rips that dotted both legs. "Are these good?"

"Perfect." I threw them at her, and she quickly changed. "Should I put a jacket over this?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "It's unusually warm out there for mid-September."

"Sweet," Charlotte said, grinning. "I'm ready! Let's go have some Charlotte and me time!"

"I think everyday is Charlotte and me time," I said, laughing. "Do you have a pocket to hold my phone?"

"I sure do," she said, holding out her hand. I gave her my phone, and she put in her back pocket. "Let's go, my dear Luna."

Thankfully, the coffee shop was near our dorm room because it actually was pretty chilly outside. Rummaging around my purse, I pulled out a small sweater. "Here, Charlotte. I lied to you about the weather."

Charlotte gladly accepted the sweater and slipped it over her head. The force knocked her glasses askew, so I quickly fixed them for her. "I'm always a mess when I wear these," she said angrily. "That's why I don't wear them."

"They look cute, though," I said, holding the door open for her. She strolled in the coffee shop, and I said, "You know what I want, right?"

"Of course," she said, nodding. "How long have we been friends, Luna? That's the first thing you learn about your best friend."

"Is it really?"

"Yeah. It's a part of the girl code."

"Sure," I said, laughing. "I'm going to pick out a place to sit."

"Okay."

As I looked around the coffee shop, I saw the kid who ran away from me the last time I tried talking to him. His head was buried in a book. I wondered if he'd run away now. I sat down in front of him anyway, and he said, "You again?"

"Of course," I said, grinning. "You never gave me enough time to get to know you."

"No thanks," he said, packing up his things. His dark hair fell into his eyes, and he pushed it out of the way almost angrily.

"Hey, what's the matter?" I asked him. My hand shot out before he could walk away and wrapped around his slender wrist. "You don't look okay."

"I'm fine," he said, glancing down at his arm. "I'm sorry that I was rude."

His arm was very warm, sending slight chills down my back. I stared into his eyes for a beat."It's okay," I said, tearing my hand away from his arm. "You can go if you want."

"Thanks," he said, smiling slightly. "Maybe I'll see you around."

"Maybe," I said, nodding. I watched as he walked away, frowning. He didn't look like he was having a good time, and I wanted to know what was wrong.

"Here you go, Luna," Charlotte said, snapping me out of my thoughts. She handed me my coffee, so I grabbed it from her. "Who were you talking to earlier?"

"It's the kid who told me I was going to be late."

"And you decided to sit down and talk to him?"

"Well, yeah. The last time I tried to do that, he ran," I said, grinning. "I wanted to try again."

"You're one weird girl."

I smiled as I took a sip of my coffee. It was only a little hot, but I didn't mind. "Is there anything else you wanted to do today?"

Charlotte was silent for a second as she thought about what to do. "I'm not sure. Do you want to do something?"

My mind flashed back to my secret garden. I might as well show Charlotte. "I actually do have a place in mind."

"Lead the way," Charlotte said, standing up. I followed suit and walked out of the coffee shop. My feet brought me to the entrance of the secret hallway before the garden.

Turning toward my best friend, I said, "You cannot tell anyone else about this place. It's a secret."

"What do you mean it's a secret?"

"I don't think anyone knows about it," I said, shrugging. "I'm pretty sure only me and some of the staff know about it."

"And now me," Charlotte said, grinning. She looked excited. "Sweet."

I led her into the secret garden, and she let out a small gasp. "I know. It's so pretty and peaceful here."

Charlotte stood and spun in a circle, looking over the whole perimeter. "I know I should be mad that you kept this from me but it's way too pretty to be mad."

"I wanted to tell you," I said sheepishly, "but I was a little selfish and kept it for myself."

"I don't blame you."

"So, you aren't mad?"

"No," she said, turning toward me with a smile. "This is heaven on earth, Luna. And I feel honored that you chose me to share this secret."

"Well, there's no one else I'd tell."

"Not even DP?"

"Nope."

"That's my girl," Charlotte said, laughing. She threw an arm around my shoulder and said, "We have to come here more often."

"Yeah," I said, nodding. "I usually come here to clear my head, but now it can be used for whatever we want."

Charlotte chatted about something else as we sat down. I was half listening to her story. My mind went back to that kid from the coffee shop. I wanted to reach out to him, but I don't think he really liked me. Anyway, I didn't know him enough to make him talk to me. I pushed him out of my mind as Charlotte started getting animated with her story. She threw her arm out, and I laughed. I couldn't focus on someone who I barely knew. I had to look toward the future.