THIRTY FOUR

Just wanted to let you know that I made it safely to my parents house. I won't bother you anymore. When I get back to campus, I'll delete your number. Goodbye

Right before I could put my phone down to go to sleep, it rang. I almost jumped out of my skin, thinking it was DP. It wasn't; it was only my roommate.

"Charlotte, what do you need?" I said quietly so I wouldn't wake my parents up.

"There's this guy standing outside our dorm and he's demanding to see you," Charlotte said, her voice low.

"When did you get back?" I asked her with a frown on my face.

"It doesn't matter," she snapped. "I told him you weren't here, but he hasn't left yet."

"Did he happen to say his name?" I asked, the worst coming to my mind.

"Yeah. I think it's Wes."

I let out a sigh and rubbed my face. "That's my ex I told you about. Usually he'll listen so you don't have to worry about anything. Just tell him I'll be back soon."

"Okay," Charlotte replied. The line went quiet, and I waited for my best friend to come back. She let out a breath. "Okay, he's gone now."

"Thank God," I said. "Call me again if he comes, Char. I don't want him to harm you just because I'm not there."

"Okay," Charlotte said. "Good night, Luna."

"Good night, Charlotte." I ended the call and set my phone on the bedside table, my mind racing. Why was my ex suddenly back when the last couple months he hadn't shown up?

Sleep soon overwhelmed me, and I gladly accepted the call.

---

A soft ringing woke me up from my dreamless sleep. On my half asleep mind, I thought it was my alarm and that I had to get ready for school. I slowly sat up and noticed that I was getting a call. The light coming from my phone was bright, so I had to squint my eyes. I gasped when I saw who was calling me. I quickly answered it and said, "Hello?"

"I thought I was invincible," a quiet voice said from the other line. "Now I'm afraid to fall."

"DP, what are you doing? Are you saying lyrics to Fall by Sunspot?"

"How'd you get it so quick?" DP asked, sounding upset. His voice was choked up. "I thought I would have fooled you."

"DP, what's wrong? You don't sound okay," I said worriedly.

"I'm not."

"What's going on?"

"It's the anniversary."

"Anniversary to what?"

"My brother and cousin's death," DP said, his voice getting low. "It's been five years since they've been gone."

"I - I am so sorry, DP," I said, my heart dropping. I sat up in bed and threw the covers off of me. The cool air bit at my legs, but I didn't care. I slid on some boots and threw on a jacket and headed outside. I needed the fresh air. "What happened to them?"

"They drowned right in front of me."

"Oh my God." The breath left my body, and I stood there, stunned. "I don't know what to say."

"Like I told you before, people usually stop talking to me whenever I tell them about this," DP said sadly. In that instant, I wanted to throw my arms around him and hold him tight forever. "I won't take it personally if you stop talking to me."