FORTY EIGHT

The sunlight was warm against my skin as I stepped out of the school. There wasn't hardly anyone roaming around the campus since it was Spring Break. Everyone usually went home during this time. I did too but not this year. I had way too many finals and tests to study for, and I knew I wouldn't get any privacy with some of my siblings home. I really wanted to see them, but I knew my school career was very important since I was a senior.

I wished Charlotte stayed at the school, but she went on a vacation with Paul. For the past couple of days, they sent me daily pictures of whatever they were doing. I was a little jealous of their carefree natures, but I felt bad after thinking that. I knew Charlotte was already accepted into her favorite college, so she didn't have to worry about that. I hadn't gotten a response from any of the colleges I sent applications to.

My feet carried me to Coffee Grounds as I glanced down at my phone. Drake had sent a text but what my eyes focused on was an email. I stopped in my tracks, clicking on it. My eyes traveled down the phone and my heart stopped. I got into my top school! I couldn't believe it! I let out a happy whoop and started walking again. I actually couldn't believe that I made it into my favorite school. There must be some kind of coincidence because I normally didn't get what I wanted.

I guess a coffee break was a good idea because I wouldn't have seen that email until later. Happiness flooded through my body, and there was a permanent smile on my face. Nothing could get my spirits down now.

My day got even better. Drake sat at a double table, his head buried into a book. I sneaked up behind him and placed my hands over his eyes. His laughter warmed my whole body.

"I wonder who this is?" he said with a chuckle.

"No idea."

"You sound happy."

"I am," I said, taking my hands away. I slid into the seat in front of him, pulling my phone out. I showed him the email, grinning as wide as I could. "I got into my top school!"

"Congrats, Luna!" Drake said, smiling. He handed my phone back to me, so I set it down on the table. "I knew you could do it."

"Really?"

"Yeah. You're incredibly smart."

The tips of my ears burned, and I was glad that my short blonde hair covered them. "Thanks."

"So," Drake said, shutting his book, "what led you here? Because I did text you, but I saw that you didn't even look at it."

"Sorry about that," I said, laughing. "I was really excited for that email. I came here because I needed a coffee break. I've been studying for days for many different tests I have coming up."

"That's why you didn't go home." He gave me a small smile. "Did you not want to be distracted by your siblings?"

"Correct!"

"You'd rather be distracted by me?" He placed his hands over his chest. "I'm honored, Luna."

I shook my head, laughing. "My Lord, boy. I didn't even know you were here."

He took a sip of his coffee, shrugging. "Do you want some of this?" I grabbed the cup out of his hand without answering him, taking a sip. "I'll take that as a yes."

The coffee was rich and warm, which was a stark contrast to what I like. However, it was pretty good, so I continued to drink it. "Don't worry. I'll pay you back for this."

"You don't have to," Drake said, shaking his head. His dark locks fell into his eyes, so I brushed them out of the way. He smiled at me. "You being here is enough."