whatever it takes

I woke up and took a shower, thankfully without running into Pete. I headed down stairs only to be met with emptiness. Dale was usually up by now.

"Hey" I herd Hillary say from behind me.

"Where's the parents?" I asked her.

"Oh, they won't be back until tomorrow." She said.

"Why do they leave us alone so much?" I laughed. She shrugged and sighed.

"Rekindling an old romance, freedom, I don't know. We're almost adults anyway so they trust us now I guess." I said "the funny thing is she usually tells Pete to watch me, this time she told me to watch Pete" she laughed.

I eventually found myself watching movies on the living room couch until Patrick called.

"Hey! Are you feeling any better?" He asked.

"Yeah, a lot better today. I told you I'd be fine." I said.

"I'm glad. So what are you doing?" He asked

"sitting on the couch watching movies. You?"

"Making a sandwich" he said unenthusiastically.

"How about you come over and watch movies with me so we can be bored together?" I asked.

"Okay cool. I'll be there in a few." He said. I agreed and hung up the phone unaware that Hillary had at some point taken a seat in the recliner by the couch.

"So who's coming over?" She asked.

"Patrick" I answered but she didn't say anything back.

"Hey! I have an idea!" Hillary said what if we completely darkened the living room and watched horror movies!" She said. My eyes widened at how good of an idea that was.  Hillary began to gather up dark sheets and blankets and we put them over the windows and door frames. Patrick arrived just as we were doing this. Hillary answered the door  as I stood on the back of the couch putting a dark blanket on the window behind it.

"It looks like I've been lured into a vampire lair" I heard Patrick say as he pushed aside the blanket in the door way.

"Isn't it cool?" Hillary said.

"It would be if someone would explain why." Patrick said. I jumped down off the back of the couch.

"Hillary came up with the idea that we darken the living room and watch scary movies. Patrick seemed even more confused by me speaking of Hillary having a good idea, but he went with it.

"So what are we watching?" He asked.

"I pulled out every scary movie we have" Hillary said. We decided on a movie called what lies beneath.  We all settled on the couch with Patrick being between Hillary and I. It was good to feel like I had friends here, maybe this was the lead way into something good.  Patrick jumped more than Hillary and I but at one point Hillary screamed making Patrick and I laugh. We were on our second scary movie and it was getting to an intense part, I was was citing to see which of the three of us would jump first when we herd something coming from the hall way. We all looked at each other then at the blanket covered hall way, we had no way of seeing what it was unless one of us got up to check. We were all framed out but I got up and walked towards the door way and pulled the blanket to the side. I looked into the hall for a moment and my heart stopped for a moment as someone in a deformed mask jumped out at me causing us all to scream. The masked person (who was now obviously Pete) fell on the ground hysterically laughing at our reactions.

"Pete! You ass!" Hillary yelled. I smacked Pete's arm hard.

"You all looked so terrified!" Pete laughed as he took off the mask and got off the floor.

"You should of left the mask on, I was hoping not to see your face today." I said angrily.

"Well sorry if I wanted to make your movie thing a little less boring." He retorted.

"You always ruin everything, Pete!" I yelled at him.

"Why the hell are you hanging out with Hillary? Aren't you afraid she's just going to back stab you?" Pete asked.

"No I'm more worried about you doing the back stabbing here Pete. What ever you were doing before, just go back and do it, but leave us alone." I said.

"You can't tell me I'm not welcome in my own living room" Pete said.

"Why are you being such an ass Pete?" Patrick asked.

"Why are you sitting on the couch with my ex girlfriend and little sister?" Patrick asked.

"They invited me over probably because your being too much of a jerk to hang out with." Patrick said.

"Whatever" Pete said and took off out the front door letting the afternoon light into the dark room for a brief moment temporarily blinding us.

"He totally just did that for your attention, Autumn." Hillary said, and she looked to be right.

Some time later Hillary had fallen asleep on Patrick's shoulder on the couch making me silently tease him. He managed so slink away from her and even prop her head to where it didn't look so painful tilted to the side. He grabbed my hand and and without warning led me upstairs to my room.

"What's going on?" I asked him confused, but he didn't say a word until we had made it to my room and my door was safely shut behind us.

"We'll" I asked waiting for an explanation for his crazyness.

"It's Hillary. You have to help me. She had her hand on my thigh for most of the movies. And for the time  her hand wasn't on my thigh, it was trying to hold mine." He said. It all fit together now, Hillary was talking about him last night when she said there was a boy that didn't notice her. Hillary liked Patrick.