|Healing scars|

3 0. H e a l i n g s c a r s

He caught me off guard.

"Dasom, what's wrong? Why aren't you eating?" Jimin wiped his hand in the napkin, his mouth was producing triggering sounds of chewing and smacking of lips.

"Hmm, I just... don't feel like eating," I answered after a brief moment of an afterthought. My stomach began twisting as if I had already eaten something digestive. I rubbed my forehead with shivery hands and Jimin's eagle-like eyes captured my nervous movements.

"Hey Dasom, you look so pale. Tell me what's worrying you? Do you want to go home? Shall I drop you back?" Tension seized his voice. On getting up he touched my forehead. "You're hot too." He breathed.

"No, I'm fine and...and I've to see a friend of mine after we finish this up." I lied on his face. Converting the motive of meeting V, whom I've not seen in the last two years.

Jimin discomfort shifted in his place, settling the bitter truth that I just uttered mindlessly. It must have hurt Jimin so badly; who wanted to come with me to such a place where we could spend quality time with one another besides our all-days working hours despisal schedule.

"Oh, okay then....I'll pay the bill." He said. Having an ado in accepting the sudden sour behavior of mine was reflected in his voice, snapping his finger to call the torpid waiter to get the bill ready.

"No, you shouldn't. I mean I invited you in the first place. It shouldn't go that way." I grabbed his hands and he softly placed his other hand on top of it. "It's a deal. Next time you'll be paying, and mind you that I'm a hearty eater." He joked and I didn't reply to it as spontaneously as I should have, putting him in a state of wonder.

We walked out and were welcomed by very fewer people wandering in the surrounding. A cold breeze hit my face making it look more frozen and white. "I'm sorry Jimin," I said, looking everywhere except in his demanding eyes.

"No problem Dasom. We have many more such days in our life only if we could steal some time from our work. It's not like our last meal on the planet earth, so cheer up!" His voice trailed off as he sniffed. Specious texture in his voice depicted how sad he was, his expression dulled.

"I'm glad that I have a friend like you. Thanks for being understanding." I said and took a step towards him to tighten the muffler around his neck in order to keep him warm and protected from the harsh winter breeze.

On hearing the word 'friend' he squeezed shut his eyes, that word came out like a wrecking ball capable of destroying everything in a second. Forcing a smile as he said, "Night, Dasom."

I nodded greeting him good night, wordlessly. That's how I disappointed him. He went away.

As soon as he left, V strolled and stood before me with his head hung down as he said, "I'm hungry. Can we go inside?" I pursed my lips, eyeing his childish behavior from head to toe. I mean who the hell asked him about being hungry? when what I needed was an answer to his absenteeism first.

***

Unluckily, the same waiter came in to take the order, his eyes as big as saucers, his jaw dropped as he drawled, "You were here a moment ago, weren't you?"

V retorted back, lacking humor. "Yes even if she were, who are you to question this? It's her choice---

I got up and grabbed a glass full of water from another's table and splashed it on his face. Stopping him from completing his sentence.