Chapter 25: Temple Run

This chapter is heavily modified from the plot of the original game.

***

You're slowly getting it! Now apply more force into your spell.

***

The six stopped in front of what seemed to be a giant thicket.

"I don't get it." Tori scratched her head. "The map said that the Hidden Temple would be right here."

"But if it was in plain sight," David pondered. "It wouldn't be a 'Hidden' Temple anymore, right?"

"Are you saying that the Hidden Temple is ACTUALLY a hidden temple?" Allison asked, unironically surprised.

"Well, no shit," Cassidy rolled her eyes. "Looks like we gotta find our way through, then."

Together, they entered the dense forest and cut their way through the seemingly endless bushes and trees. After a good ten minutes, Cassidy began to see yellow brick behind the trees.

"Here it is!"

Crawling out of the nature, the squad came face to face with a giant pyramid-like structure, which was probably the Hidden Temple. After circling the temple, they discovered a quite grand entrance made of carved pillars, vines, and intricate statues.

"We just go in, right?" Ava bounced right ahead towards the entrance.

"Wait a sec," Teresa said as she reached out and grabbed Ava. "I've seen enough adventure and Indiana Jones movies to know that there are traps in that thing."

Picking up a medium-sized rock from the ground, Teresa fling it towards the entrance. As it landed on the platform, giant spikes flew up from the ground, stabbing into the air.

"Looks like your suspicions were right!" Tori shuddered. "But, now what?"

"Hold on, I got this," Teresa assured as she floated up into the air. She then spun her staff in a circle, forming a shield around her body. "I'll find a way to disable the traps. If not, I'll complete it on my own."

"You'll need the key for that, then." Cassidy tossed her the key from the Spookyraven Manor.

Teresa caught it perfectly and tucked it into her bag. Then, she removed her hood, cracked her knuckles, and glided into the temple.

Cue the chainsaw noises. Flamethrowers. Arrows whizzing. Lots of thumps and crashes. If Teresa ever got caught in one of the traps, she wouldn't have screamed anyway, meaning the gang would have no way of knowing if she was safe or not.

The chainsaw noises finally stopped, and they heard a click. A few seconds after, Teresa appeared at the entrance without a single scratch on her body.

"You should be good now," she informed as she flicked a speck of dust off her cloak. "Come right in."

***

After passing through the deactivated traps, the group came to a wall with three different doors on it. Before them, there was a sign with text on it.

Moving closer, David read:

"Before your self stands these doors
With tricks and turns and so much more.
One will lead to the destined room
While the rest will mark your doom.
The one that stands out from the rest
Is the one that invites you as its guest.
So take your choice with a rather simple
Puzzle inside the Hidden Temple."

After staring at the sign for five seconds, he turned back to the group.

"It sounds like some sort of riddle."