Chapter 29: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Warning: This story arc will contain spoilers for the end of the game. Information will be altered, but it will still spoil the final game arc.

***

I hope you will do well. Good luck on your quest... Frank.

***

"Are you adventurers ready for your final quest?" Councilor Three asked. "This one will be significantly harder than the rest."

"Ready as I'll ever be!"

"Not at all."

"Uh... Maybe?"

"Depends on what you mean by ready."

Nodding slightly, Councilor Three continued.

"For this quest, you'll have to go face to face with the Naughty Sorceress herself. Every year on this day, she holds a Closing Ceremony and a contest you'll have to go through to participate in it."

"You'll have to rank as number one for all the contests to be invited," Councilor Four continued, creating an image in the air showing a tower and a crowd of people waiting outside. "Then, you must fight your way up into the top of the tower."

"It has been years since we have last been inside the tower," Councilor One added. "Who knows what sorts of traps and monsters the Sorceress have added since then."

"Whatever it is, we're ready for it!" Tori exclaimed. "If we work together as a team, we can take her down, right?"

"Now see, that's the thing..." Councilor Five took in a sharp breath. "Only one person can enter the closing ceremony and go up the tower. The rest of you will have to find a way to sneak into the tower, which will not be easy, or choose not to go in at all."

Exchanging nervous glances, the group all met each other's eyes. Without each other's help, it would be much more difficult.

"The only solution as of now is to decide who will go up," Councilor Two informed.

A small silence ensued before Cassidy stepped up.

"I'll do it. I've got personal beef with the Sorceress."

"Are you sure, Cassidy?" David asked worriedly. "It'll be a lot to handle..."

"Yeah. If anything, she might have info on where my sister is."

"You have a sister?!"

"That's beside the point."

"In that case, you'll have to sign up for the competition and beat every single other competitor before you can enter," Councilor Three reminded. "From then on, we can provide no further help."

"I'll be all fine!" Cassidy cracked her knuckles. "I'm gonna show that stupid Sorcess what a mistake she made messing with this kingdom!"

***

The group arrived at the tower's registration desk with Cassidy bravely leading.

"You know, Cass..." Teresa mumbled. "You don't have to do this. You can just let me go up and I can beat her ass."

"Nah, this is something I have to take care of myself," Cassidy shook her head. "Besides, I don't want you laying on the couch for the entire week complaining about how all your energy got used up."

"We'll be rooting for you from the back lines!" Ava assured. "And trying to figure out a way to sneak in as well."

"Good luck on the competition!" Allison encouraged.

Before Cassidy started to leave, however, David rushed up to Cassidy.

"Wait. Before you go, I want you to have this."