Chapter 27: Syntax Error (Filler Arc Pt. 2)

Huge thanks to Abricot_confit for letting me use her character Sonja Swiftyswing in this chapter!

***

I have faith in you to do this. You can be the one to end it all.

***

A day soon rolled by and it was the day of the party. At 4:34 PM, the squad was dressing up in their outfits.

"My stupid bangs ruin the whole look," Teresa complained with her hair up in a bun. "It won't stay behind my ear."

"Here, take my clip!" Tori handed a pearl hairpin to her. "That way it can stay out of your eyes."

"I haven't tied my hair into a bun for like what, seven years now?" Cassidy sighed as she wrapped her long hair into a bun on top of her head.

"You guys are tying your hair?" Ava snorted as she fluffed up her short hair.

David, who had the least to do, waited patiently at the door.

"Do you think there will be a lot of people at the party?" he asked, glancing at his watch.

"I mean, practically everybody was invited," Teresa shrugged, clasping the necklace around her neck. "We're bound to get at least half of Seaside Town's population."

"Get ready, because that's a lot of social interaction!" Tori giggled.

"I'm glad I've mastered the art of reading a book to avoid human interaction," Teresa mumbled.

As soon as everyone was ready, David pulled the door open and they all hopped into Cassidy's meatcar. The drive to the Convention Center was short, so the squad arrived in about ten minutes.

"Looks like the doors are already open!" Allison remarked as she hopped off the car. "I can't wait to eat the food!"

With that, she rushed through the doors. Shrugging, Tori followed after her, then Ava, then Teresa, then Cassidy and David were left.

Nervously, David gulped and fixed his tie for the fifth time since arriving.

"What's wrong, David?" Cassidy asked, her eyebrows wrinkling in concern.

"It's just a bit of anxiety, I guess" David responded, straightening his tux. "It's been a couple years since I've arrived at Seaside, but I'm still not completely used to being in places with so many people."

"Aww, don't be scared about that!" Cassidy patted him on the back (maybe a little too hard, since David jolted forward with each pat). "Social anxiety can be a bitch. Don't worry, just try to be your best whenever someone approaches you."

"Wait, so I don't be myself?" David asked, confused.

"Oh, hell no. Being yourself just makes strangers feel uncomfortable. Trust me, it's coming from experience. But don't be too fake, either. You just gotta pick and choose your points instead of just putting it out."

"Wow, that's... actually some good advice!"

"Of course it is. Only coming from the best!"

The two smiled at each other, and arm in arm, walked into the doorway together.

Once they entered the room, there was a plethora of masks, dresses, and both bright and dark colors alike. A gentle orchestral piece drifted from the background, accompanied by the soft chatter of the party guests.

Over at the corner, Teresa was pretending to read a book to avoid interaction. When a drunk-looking guy came close to her, she simply used her magic to push him back. It was hilarious.