Chapter 3: Close, but no Cigar

Amy and Knuckles reach the locker room. Quickly, Amy grabs a bag and fills it with ice. "Here," she hands Knuckles the bag "I am so so sorry Knuckles.." Knuckles takes the bag and places it on his throbbing foot. "Amy. It's fine. Honest! It was an accident caused by me! I slipped!"

Amy looks down at her feet. "Right... It totally wasn't me flirting with you." Knuckles jolts up. Shocked.
"Wh-wh-wh-what?..." Knuckles and Amy stare into each other's eyes. "I... Nothing..." Amy turns away, but Knuckles places his hand on Amy's shoulder.
"No... Please tell me, Amy."
A minute passes in silence, but it feels like an eternity. Finally, Knuckles breaks the silence.

"Look. This morning I was trying to tell you I have," Knuckles takes a beat, breathes, and closes his eyes - scared, "feelings for you."

Another minute of silence.

"I like you too, Knuckles." Amy whispers.
Knuckles jaw drops.
"You what?!" He's practically speechless.
Amy nods, smiling at him.
"I thought it was one sided. I never thought you actually, you know, liked me." Knuckles blushes.
"Well, that's where you're wrong," Amy scoots closer to him. "I've honestly liked you for months, maybe a year. I've just been too scared to say anything. I was worried you wouldn't feel the same and it would make things awkward." Knuckles runs his fingers through Amy's flowy pink hair.

Slowly, they lean into each other.

Their lips barely meet.

"Woah, I'm sorry haha! Wait.... Amy?.... Knuckles?"

They look over only to see... Sonic.