Chapter 29

After another couple days Dracula returned from the meeting with the council. His sister left with a wave of anger. I laughed softly and waved farewell to her. When I turned to face Dracula he embraced me and his daughter. I took in his scent with sweet bliss.

"Oh, how much I have missed you. My little sugar bears," he said, happily planting a kiss on my lips.

"We are happy to have you back too," I replied. "Shy has been missing her daddy."

"Speaking of missing my daughter. I have something to talk to you about... Privately," He said, slowly. "Would you like to go for a flight and chat?"

"Of course. I'll be out when I put her to bed," I replied, happily.

Dracula takes her into his arms.

"Please. I haven't held her in days. Let me do it," he replied, his voice gentle.

I smiled and nodded. I carefully set Shy into his arms. I watched as he walked away cooing over little Shy. I went out to the balcony and waited until he joined me.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Ready," I agreed.

Together we jumped off the balcony and turned into bats. We flew through the air and danced in the clouds. It had been months since we had any alone time together since the whole drama with the cruise. We landed on a cloud and I looked at Dracula. I could tell something was bothering him. I shifted closer.

"What did you want to talk to me about?" I asked, softly.

Dracula rubbed the back of his neck and sighed softly still staring up at the sky before turning to face me.

"The trip to the council got me thinking.. I do not want to risk missing out on Shy's first things because I'd be away often and to juggle the hotel at the same time as raising a family," Dracula said, slowly. "I don't want to miss anything like I had done Mavis and look how she turned out."

He falls silent in the moment. I pressed my lips into a thin line nodding slowly.

"Why don't we retire then from the hotel?" I offered. "We can leave it with Mavis and Jonathan so they could run it. You can relax and have a proper 'vacation' and raise your family. So if anything happens it will still be in the family."

Dracula thought it over and nods slowly. He glanced at the sky and a dark expression formed on his face.

"I put my whole life into this hotel to protect Mavis from the cruel human world so I didn't lose her like her mother but I ended up pushing her into it," Dracula said, sadly. "I don't want that to happen to our kids. I want them to make their own choices and experience whatever they desire. I also don't want to leave the hotel Mavis because of Jonathan..."

I smiled softly at him and nodded in understanding.

"We can always assign someone to keep those two in check or maybe find someone else?" I offered, thoughtfully. "It was only a suggestion."

Dracula smiles and laughs.

"Then it's settled," Dracula declared. "I will leave the hotel to someone. I will find out before the party next week and announce who it is."

I rested my head on his shoulder and smiled.

"Sounds wonderful, my love," I replied. "Now let's enjoy the peace of this moment before your summoned away again."

Dracula chuckled and we silently enjoyed each other company under the moonlight.

———

Days flew by and I was carrying Shy around the castle. She looked around as she grew restless. I smiled and gently showed her new things that were put up in the castle. She was mostly interested in certain colors. Dracula was running around preparing everything for the dance tomorrow night. He had been preparing his speech for a week. I walked up beside him as he was helping to hang up decorations for the party.