17: Promotion

Author's Note : School has been giving a lot of exams lately, hardly got any free time to write. Anyways enjoy the chapter.

Normal PoV

Fifteen days after the battle of Aldar Fort, the villagers returned to their villages respectively. The dead bodies were properly deposed, the conscripts were compensated for their actions, Most importantly, the risk of invasion is prevented.

Akane was summoned to the Garrison commander's quarters, along with the three knights.

"I would like to commend you all for your efforts during the battle."

Chiharu stood up her chair and placed a medal around my neck.

"For your efforts in the battle, lady Akane, with the authority given to me by the crown, I hereby grant you the title of knight. Arise Knight Akane."

"Congratulations on your promotion milady."

Yuito told Akane with a smile.

"For your leadership and bravery on the battlefield, I grant you the rank of Captain. Arise Captain Yuito.

Like Akane a medal was given to Yuito, a satisfied smile formed on Chiharu's face as she told Yuito.

"The medal, it suits you."

Yuito salutes in response, Chiharu turned to Raymond and Eladain. Her face went from smiling to serious.

"With your efforts on the defense, we managed to hold our ground, for that I thank you. Knight Raymond and Eladain, I grant you both the rank of Lieutenant Commander."

Chiharu let's out a sigh as she looks around.

"Logistics Commander Rayland has yet recovered from the battle. But he shall receive the title of knight."

"You are all dismissed."

Yuka noticed Akane exiting the Garrison commander's quarters, she quickly ran up to her and salutes.

"Congratulations on your promotion milady."

"Same goes to you lieutenant Yuka."

Yuka had a dissatisfied smile as she told Akane.

"I only got promoted because of Milady's actions."

Akane shook her head and revealed a genuine smile.

"That's not true, without you I wouldn't have been able to lead the platoon."

"Anyways, congratulations on your promotion milady."

Yuka waved her hands as she disappears into the distance. Akane quickly returned to her quarters.

Yuni prepared a cup of green tea, Sunnyside up eggs and rice.

"Time for me to go back to work, otherwise Head Maid Lena would get mad. Rest here for a while Akane, I will be back in no time."

With a smile on her face, Yuni left the quarters, Akane let's out a sigh as she sat on her bed.

"What should I do? There's no books to read, no one to talk with, nothing to to."

Akane got up the bed, went to her desk and took out some documents, a bottle if ink and a quill.

"I will just finish the tomorrow's paperwork, after all I am Chiharu's secretary."

Akane's PoV

It's been a few hours since Yuni left, after finishing the paperwork I quickly went back to bed. I heard the sound of someone knocking on the door, I got up and asked.

"Who is it?"

"I-It's me Yuni."

My face instantly formed a smile, It's the first time in a while that I felt this lonely, luckily Yuni's there to cheer me up.

"Come in."

The door opened, Yuni along with Ange enters the room, her hand cuffed.

"What's your business here?"

"I brought her along Akane, she seems to have something to ask you."

I asked Ange, she gave no reply. I sighed and returned to the bed. Silence filled the room, Yuni got up to make some tea, which left me alone with Ange.

"What's your business here?"

I asked her again, unlike her response to my first question, she took a deep breathe and answered shyly.

"Thank you for giving my subordinates proper treatment, even though we're your enemy, you didn't hesitate to help us."

"It's only natural, we're human beings after all."

"I-Is that so?"

After letting out a sigh, I glared at Ange with a stern look on my face and asked.

"That's not all is it?"

Ange closed her eyes and nodded.

"You told me that you wanted me to become a part of your platoon, why?"

"I felt like you're someone I could trust, after all you had the option to flee, despite that you chose to stay behind, even willingly offered your life in exchange for the safety of your subordinates."

Ange had a serious look on her face as she asked.

"What would you do? If I chose to betray you?"

"I'll think about it when we get there."

Someone knocked on the door, Yuni entered the room with a trolley which contains sweets and tea.

"Your tea milady."

Yuni jokingly said, I giggled at her remark.

"Thank you dear."

Yuni placed a cup of tea and sweets beside Ange, with a bright smile she told her.

"Eat up, I know you haven't been eating for a while."

Ange shook her head in response, Yuni sighed and glared at me. I sighed and took a sip of tea.

"Ange please drink the tea before it gets cold."

Ange nodded, she took a sip and a smile formed on her face.

"It's delicious."

"Try some of the sweets, I'm sure you'll like them as well."

Ange took a cookie and ate it, she turned to Yuni and asked

"Did you make these yourself miss Yuni?"

Yuni nodded in response and poured more tea in Ange's cup.

"Thank you."

After finishing eating, Yuni went outside to wash the dishes. I turned to Ange and told her.

"Take care of yourself more, I know you're blaming yourself for letting your subordinates get captured."

"How did you know?!?"

Ange asked in shock.

"Your facial expressions tells me everything."

"I-Is that so?"

"Don't worry too much, your lost wasn't your fault. Those who died doesn't blame you either."

Ange smiled at my remarks, seemingly cheered up.

"Thank you very much Miss Akane, I feel better now."

Afterwards she ran off back to her quarters.