CHAPTER 13

He had left in just half an hour without another word.

Sarah Jane was left alone at Kinsmen Place with her hired companions. Mathilda had appeared to be in good health later in the morning with no evidence of her illness that had befallen her the day before.

Sarah Jane embarked on a long walk to stretch her legs before following to London as well. Lord Killsworth had not mentioned how she was to prepare for her debut, but she suspected that there might be a woman waiting there to help her.

Entering the carriage with a wary glance at the compact cushions, she braced herself for the discomfort to follow their journey. She had traveled so much because of unfortunate passing-ons of the Lord Rosenbergs, but even now, as she found herself in Wiltshire, with quite a healthy and virile man, she was being transported again.

However this time, the transport was out of her own choice. It was thrilling.

Because of the Season, she would not be in the pleasurable sights of the countryside and must indulge in the high-nosed air of aristocrats of the ton in London. Sarah Jane mused that if ladies were as elegant as the countess of the 10th Earl Rosenberg, then London would not be a problem at all then, wouldn't it?

"Where are we to go in London," she asked no one in particular and motioned for the carriage door to be closed.

"Grosvenor Square, near the river Thames," Mathilda replied, waiting for a small girl to enter the coach.

"My lady, I am Winnifred, your lady's maid for your stay in London." She bowed from the steps and then climbed the cushions beside Mathilda. "I do hair well, miss."

"Pleasure," she murmured, eyeing the small girl's bright cheeks. "I shall sample your skills then. I am in want of a husband." Winnifred gave her a winning smile.

It was a very uneventful ride as not two words were heard from anyone during the trip. It took them a day and a half because of the change of wheels, a bit of time to rest and meals, as well as a change of clothes.

"I think we have arrived," Robinson quipped sensing that the carriage stopped moving.

"There might just be a carriage in front of us," Mathilda responded while she peered out the window.

There was a lighted doorstep. She hadn't noticed that it had already grown dark. She must have fallen asleep.

"No, I think we have arrived." It did bear repeating as no one had moved.

"Then we should go down at once," Sarah Jane insisted and started opening the door but was stopped by the flip of Mathilda's hand.

"What's the matter?"

"You must wait for the groomsmen, dear child. You are in London." She fastened the girl's hat on her head more securely, tucking the hair beneath her ears expertly.

Rolling her eyes, she listened for the footsteps outside. Counting in her mind, she reached fifteen before the door was opened.

"Thank god." She muttered under her breath.

She was welcomed by a butler, though his expression was less than welcoming. Although no one from her little group had brought a timepiece with them, she would have guessed from the tiresome expression of the butler that it was very late at night, indeed.

The trunks were carried almost as silent as a whisper inside the house as she was led to her bedchamber by the upstairs help. The butler bid her goodnight and that was that. It is uncomfortable how tightlipped and cold people were as a consequence of residing in London.