CHAPTER 14

The days flew by quickly in preparation for her debut.

Upon arriving, and at the behest of Lady Huntington's presence, there had been more than five major affairs—all of which they all declined so that they may prepare Lady Sarah Jane better. Another lesson here, another instruction of becoming mannerly and elegant there—Lady Sarah Jane had been admonished, critiqued, and berated daily.

If she had known that a Season was going to be this tedious, she might have just allowed herself to marry any country gentleman instead.

Society gossips had already begun speculating that Lady Huntington was sponsoring a young debutante with Lady Killsworth whose charm, talent and grace were undeniable, as a companion no less!

Killsworth hadn't liked the idea of appearing in society for several reasons. One, his scandal may or may not have blown over, and he wished not to investigate further lest he opens a discussion about it. Second, he was always hounded by society mamas looking for a match for their eager young daughters, and he was not in the mood for petty dances and talks of the weather, among other frivolities.

It was very curious that although society had not made him forget about his past, they seemed determined to put those thoughts at bay if only to secure a good marriage with a titled gentleman. Widows and married women alike seem not to care at all, sending him flirtatious invitations to their bed as soon as he arrived in town.

Most of all, he feared that society might not have a short memory after all. His blackened reputation as the most blackguard of rakes would not do Lady Sarah Jane any good, and therefore would result in him having to marry her.

The former he could very well tolerate, but the latter was something he refused to even think about.

Lady Huntington's visits became precariously incessant after she decided to take Lady Sarah Jane's debut as her pet project. Lady Killsworth did not dare argue with the old lady's persistence since she had appreciated as much freely offered help as she could get. Most of the days, the lessons began to tire Lady Sarah Jane, and it damplened her confidence as much as it did her spirit. Her insecurities folded twice over as she was told of the many things she could not do and did not possess.

"One which will always be de Rigeur," Lady Killsworth said one evening, "is a young woman as you are, in possession of a handsome dowry or no, must possess the comportment of a lady with the highest breeding. So far as to even be assume that you are actually in the highest position in society. Your grace and talent for conversation shall bring birds to weep upon your entrance. That, my dear, is the very secret in being the diamond of the first water."

"Hmmph!" Lady Huntington scoffed, "the diamond, eh? To think of such is absolute foolishness! Is her hair blonde? Her skin is pasty with red swatches and sports a mouth too wide." She pointed at Sarah Jane's cheeks. "Do not allow the girl to have any illusions of where she's at, my dear. Better know her place and play her cards right."

Sarah Jane bit her lip helplessly as the maids flanked both her wings. They were walking with her in case the books she was balancing on her arms would fall.

"Walk not wider than a foot," Lady Killsworth instructed while she balanced the books herself and walked in front of Sarah Jane. "See this space, my dear? Do not stretch your stride, only lift your boot a foot from the other. You'll appear to be floating if your dress drags on the floor." She tapped her hips lightly while in motion. "Don't forget a gentle sway."

Not minding the lesson, Lady Huntington continued, "But you, well Caroline, I remember your debut very well. Peers were ogling. The ton was abuzz, they said you could have ambitioned royalty!"