CHAPTER 38

The carriage ride was an especially bumpy endeavor, juggling its passengers at every turn as it hurtled at an undeniable speed. To everyone's utter surprise, Lady Huntington saw no need for comment at the pace they were going; not once did she complain about being uncomfortable. Lady Killsworth seemed to be exhausted, and Anthony and Sarah Jane mostly rode in silence, their peaceful companionship exchanged for conversation, and their energies recharging in anticipation of their wedding.

A ride from London to Wiltshire would take 24 hours at the very least, even with a good sturdy carriage and fast, able horses. But the fates have combined their forces to help the lovesick young couple to procure ample time for a rest before their morning wedding. The roads were empty and the holes patched smoothly. And as they stopped only for meals, a short respite, and emptied plumbing in chamber pots while simultaneously changing horses, it had given them a surplus of hours to burn on the road.

Deep into the night, Anthony informed Sarah Jane that Mr. and Mrs. Robinson will be following in one of Creston's smaller carriages. Creston had sent an express missive, whose messenger caught them on the road, to inform them that he will be indisposed to travel for their wedding as his wife was nearing her due. He sends them his felicitations and promises to drop by for a visit as soon as he and his duchess are able.

This leaves his only guest, the duke, and his duchess, to be in attendance at their wedding. Undoubtedly, even as Sarah Jane suspected the duchess to be in an affair with Anthony, a mere glimpse of the rare lovesick couple would set her mind at ease.

As they entered Kinsman Place, Lady Huntington informed Anthony that Lord Holt would not be in attendance as he had to attend some business in a faraway estate.

Anthony did not make a show of how his soul rejoiced at gaining his senses just in time to snatch Sarah Jane from this abominable union. It was an idea so disastrous, so undoubtedly painful, and so disgusting that Anthony wondered how he was able to stand by as the old man courted his woman.

He shuddered, physically forcing the thought out of his head by swatting his fingers against imaginary dust on his shoulders. Everything is settled and well, he had murmured to assure himself as he proceeded to accompany the ladies to their private quarters.

Morning could not come any faster.

Sarah Jane woke with a start as Mathilda pulled on her ankles from under the covers, muttering how she had forgotten to remove her stockings in her haste to sleep last evening. Mathilda had only arrived this morning, as she and her husband decided to rest for a spell in a nearby inn before continuing the journey to Kinsman Place.

"Poor, poor, child," Mathilda had scolded over and over as she bathed her, washed and straightened her hair, scrubbing her aching body.

Just as they finished with her bath, Mathilda working determinedly on her hair, there was a knock at the door.

A maid poked her head inside and announced the arrival of Lady Killsworth in her bedchamber.

"I have hoped you were awake." She said as she entered, bringing a dusty old box. "Do you know, in your ridiculous haste to get married, we hadn't had the chance to pick a wedding gown for you."

Sarah Jane's eyes widened as Lady Killsworth opened the box, her sight astonished with glorious fabrics of rose pink that instantly made her giddy and excited.

"I hope you envisioned yourself getting married in pink." Lady Killsworth said lightly as she gingerly took the sleeves and aligned it with Sarah Jane's shoulder. "It was the palest of its kind,"

"It's lovely." Sarah Jane blinked back her tears.

It was more than anything she could have imagined. The skirts shone wonderfully elegant against the sunlight. Its fabric, a thick and gold-speckled rose pink, cinched in the right corners to allow a glimpse of a woman's body and featured a delicate shearing that allowed her bosom to be covered lightly but still tastefully exposed. Sarah Jane could not wait for any second longer to try it on.