Chapter Seventeen

•••

•••

Katniss Everdeen had gone to District Two in hopes of rallying troops and getting all of the the Districts on the rebel's side. Autumn knew this was a bad idea, but Katniss still went. And she returned with a bullet hole in her body.

Finnick kept a hand on Autumn's back, rubbing it softly as an attempt to soothe her as they walked into the conference room. Autumn's face was set in stone as she was angry she had been called into their office like a child called to the principle once again. Besides, one of her friends was unconscious in the hospital wing with a bullet hole in her chest. Autumn much rather be by Katniss at the moment.

"I thought I had made it clear the last time that I had no interest in your meetings," Autumn spoke as she took a seat next to Finnick and across from Coin.

Coin hid her admiration as she took in a breath. "We are here to talk to you about something that could effect the future of Panem."

"I have no interest in your politics, either," Autumn shook her head.

"You are a soldier," Plutarch spoke. "And therefore you are a part of the politics whether you like it or not."

"Can we just get through this quickly? I have somewhere I rather be," Autumn spoke. Coin nodded, clasping her hands on the table in front of her.

"When Ms. Everdeen became the Mockingjay, we were forced to take some safety precautions," Coin spoke. "And that means, we needed an understudy of sorts. Someone who will step into the role of the Mockingjay if needed."

Autumn looked around. "You're saying that you want to make sure someone can replace Katniss if she is killed." Plutarch nodded.

"I thought you'd use the symbol," Finnick spoke. "You could still use Katniss's face even if she was gone."

Finnick had quickly figured out what this conversation was headed towards. They would ask Autumn to take that role. He knew she could do it, but he also knew she didn't want to. And if Finnick was honest with himself, he didn't want her too either. Not only was Autumn's mind a bit fractured, but if she took Katniss's place that would put a huge target on her back. All Finnick ever wanted was this war to be over so he could go home with Autumn and start a family.

"Yes, but we believe that may backfire," Coin spoke. "The Districts may loose hope if their symbol is dead. They need someone to look too. Someone in control. Someone at the front of the army, leading the soldiers into battle."

"And so who did you have in mind?" Gale spoke from the other end of the table.

Plutarch breathes out. "Autumn."

Autumn's eyes widened as her eyebrows raised. She had assumed that this was the topic of discussion, but to hear it out loud was different.

"Me?" Autumn spoke. "Why?"

"The Districts trust you," Coin spoke. "And Katniss recommended you."

"Recommend me?" Now Autumn was truly surprised.

Coin nodded. "When she agreed to become the Mockingjay. Katniss said that if she were to be killed, she wanted you to take her place. It seems she trusts you the most, Autumn."

"Why are you telling me this?" Autumn asked. "Katniss isn't dead."

"Yes, but things aren't looking great at the moment," Plutarch spoke honestly. "The Districts are scrambling in fear. They're not sure what will happen next and they're afraid that if Katniss dies, so will the rebellion."

"But she's not dead," Autumn spoke, shaking her head. Her breathing became more rapid as panic set in. Finnick grabbed her hand, but it did little to stop her anxiety.

"Of course and we're not about to stick you in the Mockingjay suit, but all we ask is that you make a statement," Plutarch spoke. "Speak our to the Districts. Tell them that you will be there if Katniss falls."

Autumn looked at everyone in the room, her eyes wide. She looked helpless, like she was drowning. The feeling of suffocation causes images of her first games to swarm her mind.

Autumn's eyes met Finnick. He had now grabbed both of his hands, facing her. He told her to breath, taking deep breaths in and out with her. After a moment, Finnick was able to calm her down.

Autumn faced the people in the room once again. "I will make a statement telling the Districts what will happen if Katniss dies, but my statement will be based on events that are circumstantial. I am not taking her position."

"Of course not," Coin smiled.

"And I am doing this for Katniss," Autumn spoke before looking Coin straight in the eye. "Not for you. And my mind may be in pieces, but I will not be manipulated."