Chapter Twenty-Four

•••

•••

Autumn sat in the bathtub, her back leaning up against Finnick's chest. She closed her eyes, taking in deep breaths as she prepared her mind for what was about to come.

Autumn was determined to keep herself under water and she hoped that with Finnick there with her, she'd be able to handle it.

Autumn couldn't understand why in the seventy fifty Hunger Games she was able to control herself underwater when swimming to the cornucopia or saving Katniss and Peeta. The only conclusion she could come too was the fact that Autumn had a goal on her mind. She didn't let herself panic because if she did, people she cared for would die. Here, in a bathtub, Autumn had no threat or stress and so her mind had nothing to distract itself with.

"You can do it," Finnick whispered in her ear. "I'm right here with you." He clasped his hand in hers, holding it tightly.

Autumn let out a breath, nodding. Still holding onto Finnick's hand, Autumn sunk her head under the water.

Autumn opened her eyes, looking at the edge of the bathtub that sat across from her. She breathed out, slowly, bubbles of air rising to the surface. Autumn could feel her chest tighten in anxiousness, but with a simple squeeze of Finnick's hand, it melted away. She had no fear.

Autumn stayed under for as long as she could before the lack of oxygen made her light headed. She came back up the the surface, gasping for air as she opened her eyes and water droplets fell from her hair and face.

A smile began to grow on her face, Autumn tiring to face Finnick and pressing her lips to his in a celebratory kiss. When they broke apart, she let out a small laugh of surprise.

"I did it," she spoke. "I did it, Finnick!"

He couldn't remember a time when he had seen such joy on Autumn's face, besides the day she had came to District Thirteen.

Finnick knew that Autumn wasn't as damaged as she believed herself to be, yet she had convinced herself that she was troubled and therefore useless. Finnick know how big of a deal being able to stay under water was for Autumn. It proved to her that, perhaps, her trauma was mending itself.

Finnick knew Autumn was not insane nor was she disturbed. She simply carried heavy trauma and suffered post traumatic stress disorder as did many of the tributes. The problem with Autumn es the fact that her mind latched that trauma into a certain substance instead of memories. And in Autumn's case, it was water which her mind feared most.

But it seemed that in times of danger or great importance, she could overlook that and remember that it was just water. While it represented her trauma, it was just water. And now that she had realized that in a moment of peace, perhaps Autumn and Finnick could begin to work on piecing her back together.

•••

They sat, together, in the water for a long while later. The few minutes under the water had raised Autumn's heart beat very high and she need to calm her mind for it was the healthiest thing to do.

Finnick brushes his fingers over the skin on her back, his fingertips running over the scars that laid there. From their pattern and length, Finnick could tell that these were whip scars, which Autumn had undoubtedly endured in the Capital. He was unsure of Autumn even knew that they were there.

"Is Everlee here?" Autumn spoke, cupping her hands under some bubbles and holding them up out of the water. "In District Thirteen."

Finnick swallowed, knowing she would ask that question eventually. Yet he was surprised that it took her this long.

"No," Finnick spoke, continuing to trace the scars. "Plutarch told me that Everlee was killed, along with the rest of the District Four prep team. The night that the force field blew."

Autumn simply nodded, a single tear dripping down her cheek in sorrow for her stylist. Autumn had not been very close to Everlee as she only saw him for a week every year, but he had been the first person Autumn trusted in the Capital.

"We shall name another child after him," Finnick spoke, smiling lightly.

"I do not think so, Finnick," Autumn spoke, shaking her head. "I do not wish to name our children after those I miss. I will only feel sorrow when I say their names."

"Don't think of it as sorrowful," Finnick spoke. "Think if it as a celebration. They impacted your life and so their name shall live on."

"I want to get my family's home back," Autumn spoke, leaning back against Finnick's chest. He stopped tracing the scars, wrapping his arms around her waist. "We'd have to fix it up. It went abandoned after I was forced to move to victors village."

"It would be nice to live near the beach," Finnick smiled, nodding. "I want to teach our children how to swim and fish."

Autumn smiled, resting her head back anD looking up at Finnick. "We shall live in a world where they will only use those skills for fun. And not in an arena."

Finnish smiled wider, nodding as he looked down at Autumn. They had been dreaming of this future every since they came together, but now that the end of the Hunger Games was actually possible, this dream seemed to have so much more meaning than before.

Autumn looked away from Finnick, her eyes trained on the grey wall of the District Thirteen bathroom ahead of her. She sighed, her mind forcing her back to reality. "I suppose that will all have to wait. We have to end this war first."

Author's Note:

When We Drown has reached over 100k reads and I cannot be more surprised or honored. Never in a million years did I think this book series (or any of my books) would be so successful and impact so many people. You are all truly amazing and I am so appreciative that I get to do what I love so such a wonderful audience. Thank you so much for all of your support❤️