Chapter Three

•••

•••

Katniss walked through the twisting, maze like hallways of District Thirteen. She was angry, no she was furious, with Finnick. He was supposed to keep Peeta safe.

Katniss presses her hand to the fingerprint scanner next to Finnick's room, letting the door whoosh open.

She walked into the small room, seeing Finnick sitting on the side of bed tying knots into a rope.

"Finnick," Katniss spat, venom in her voice. Finnick sniffled, telling Katniss that he had just gotten done crying again.

He looked up at her, his eyes red and puffy. He was only able to look her in the eye for a second before his eyes retreated back down to the rope of knots. His fingers shook as he worked, making it hard for him to do much.

"I wanted to go back for them," Finnick spoke, his voice hoarse and scratchy. "But I couldn't move."

"I don't care," Katniss seethed. "It was your job to protect him."

"He wasn't the only one taken!" Finnick yelled, standing up from his bed, letting the rope fall to the floor.

He glared at Katniss, seeing the fear in her eyes. She had never seen Finnick snap like that before and she didn't like how scary he looked when he was angry.

"I'm sorry," Finnick sighed. "I'm sorry." He sat back down on the bed, a tear running down his cheek.

The truth was, Finnick wasn't angry. He was scared. He had no idea what they were doing with Autumn. If she was dead, if she was alive. He had no idea what was becoming of her in the Capital. And that, to Finnick, was the most terrifying thing in the world.

"They uh-" Finnick cleared his throat as he tried to stop the tears from flowing. "They took Autumn too." He looked down at the floor. "I wish she was dead. I wish they were all dead and we were too. It'd be so simple."

Katniss walked up to Finnick and hugged him awkwardly. Katniss was never one for hugs. Finnick knew this and was grateful for the hug.

"I don't have anything else," Finnick whispered once Katniss let go. "You still have you mother and your sister. And Gale. And Haymitch and Effie." Finnick looked up at Katniss. "Autumn is all I have. She's the only person I love."

"You have Mags-" Katniss spoke, but Finnick was quick to cut her off.

"Mags is dead," his voice trembled. "She-uh-she died three days after the Reaping. The day we went into the arena." Katniss was silent for a moment.

"You have me," Katniss shrugged, unable to thing of much else to say. Finnick's lips twitched upwards into a smile.

"Thanks," he mumbled. A second of silence passed between them.

"I think..." Katniss began speaking. "When Haymitch came up with that whole, star crossed lovers thing from the same district, he got the idea from you and Autumn."

Finnick let out a small laugh, unsure how Haymitch connected those dots.

"How did you guys meet?" Katniss asked. She already knew how, but she was hoping to distract Finnick by talking about her.

"She volunteered for the seventieth Hunger Games and I was her mentor," Finnick spoke.

"Was it...love at first sight?" Katniss asked. She had to admit she was slightly uncomfortable speaking about this because she never liked talking about love or feelings. But it seemed to help Finnick.

"No," Finnick laughed. "She didn't really like me much at first. She thought I was spoiled and selfish and self centered. While she was training we began to like each other. It wasn't till after she won that everything happened."

"I'm sorry," Katniss apologized, sitting down on the bed next to him. "I shouldn't have blamed you for Peeta. Because you also lost Autumn."

Katniss took Finnick's hand and opened it. She unclipped a necklace from around her neck and placed it in his hand. Finnick looked at the necklace in his hand in disbelief, another tear rolling down his cheek. It was Autumn's necklace. The chain he had given her and the ring Annie had given her.

"How did you get this?" He asked Katniss.

"She put it on me in the arena," Katniss told him. "When she cut my tracker out. It was meant for you. I'm sorry I didn't give it to you sooner."

With that, Katniss stood up and left the room. She left Finnick sitting on the bed alone, wondering if it was a blessing or a curse to have this necklace.

They would've destroyed it in the Capital if she had kept it. Finnick was glad he had something to remind him of her, but it was also a horrible. He wasn't sure if he wanted a reminder. He just wanted her back.